Old Power supply Guide (2008)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: *READ FIRST* Updated Power supply guide

Good suggestions,

also consider any seasonic, silverstone, antec, OCZ or corsair rated @ or above 750 watts.

I recently purchased an Apevia Beast Power 680 Watt PSU. I got a great deal on it but I did not read the list of PSU's to avoid before I purchased this PSU. I did read lots of reviews at New Egg and it had some good reviews.

I also recently had my Ultra Infinity X 600 Watt PSU go south on me. Ultra graciously sent me a new Ultra LSP 650 watt PSU as a replacement.

I am preparing to install a new Galaxy GTS 250 in my rig [all my desired upgrade specs on the rig are listed below in my signature].

Presently, I am using a CoolMaster RP 600 Watt PSU with no PFC with an excellent 9600 GSO.

Can someone here please help me to choose the best of these two PSU's [Apevia Beast Power 680 Watt PSU or the Ultra LSP 650 watt PSU] to use in my rig?

Thanks,

Soar

I wouldn't use either, but the Ultra ones are slightly better than apevia.

So I would say use the ultra LSP.
If you won't buy one on the recommended list.

I wouldn't use either, but the Ultra ones are slightly better than apevia.

So I would say use the ultra LSP.
If you won't buy one on the recommended list.

Ste,

Thanks for your recommendation. Now I am sorry I did not read this post from the beginning BEFORE I started looking for a nice PSU.

To be 100% honest with you, I normally read the reviews at New Egg to obtain what I feel is an unbiased review on an item before I purchase it. Now I think I realize that perhaps many of the reviews are from people that have a somewhat limited understanding of what makes up a good product.

I purchased the Apevia Beast Power because it has somewhat good reviews, it also has 3 fans, fan speed controller knob, nice UV sleeves, and really cool looking lights to make my case look nice [I know, I should have bought more for performance and longevity rather than mere aesthetic values].

Well, now I know where to come first before I purchase another one.

Ok, one more question.

The Apevia is showing these output ratings:
+3.3V@38A, +5V@40A, +12V1@22A, +12V2@24A, -5V@0.3A, -12V@0.8A, +5VSB@2A

The Ultra is showing these output ratings:
Input Voltage: 115 ~ 230

+3.3V: 24 A

+5V: 32 A

+12V 1: 38 A

-12V: 0.6 A

+5VSB: 2 A

I really do not know much about these ratings, but I have a couple of questions...

Given that the Apevia is showing ratings of 22 and 24 amps on the 12 volt does this tell me it has two rails?

And on the Ultra, I see ratings of 38 amps on a 12 volt, yet nearly nada on the other 12 volt...

How many amps does my GTS 250 need to run comfortably?

And, if I use the Apevia, can the GTS pull amps from both the 22 and 24 sections?

Please help me to understand this if you can...

Thanks,

Soar

Newegg reviews are crap, anyone can write them. Which means most of them have no idea what they are talking about..

And most write them while only owning the product for under 1 week, which is not enough time to evaluate a power supply.

Yes the Apevia has two rails.

I don't know what the GTS 250 pulls exactly, but either power supply should have enough amps to power it..

I wouldn't use either one of them. Just suck it up and spend 70 bucks.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817703011
Its worth the 5 year warranty.

Newegg reviews are crap, anyone can write them. Which means most of them have no idea what they are talking about..

And most write them while only owning the product for under 1 week, which is not enough time to evaluate a power supply.

Yes the Apevia has two rails.

I don't know what the GTS 250 pulls exactly, but either power supply should have enough amps to power it..

Ste,

Ok, thanks for the clarity and bluntness. Sometimes truth hurts...ouch!

Soar

Ste is right (as he is the PSU master), better to invest in a good PSU now then to risk one going haywire on you. If a PSU blows it sometimes takes multiple parts with it, that's something not worth the risk. All the money, time, and effort is simply not worth it when you could fork out the extra dough for a solid unit with a warranty.

Ste is right (as he is the PSU master), better to invest in a good PSU now then to risk one going haywire on you. If a PSU blows it sometimes takes multiple parts with it, that's something not worth the risk. All the money, time, and effort is simply not worth it when you could fork out the extra dough for a solid unit with a warranty.

James,

Thanks. Hey, do I risk blowing out some of my nice components if I use the Apevia or the Ultra?

Soar

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom