$500 Xmas build for Dad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just noticed something. The PSU I picked out is on the brands to avoid list in the Power Supply Guide listed in this section. Should I think about getting a different one?

you can just partiton the drive... Have one partition for the OS and one for data and backups... If he uses as little as you say he does then why even go for 160's... Just use 80gb drives. We've given you tons of info and help and it seems like you aren't really giving out suggestions any thought. If you go with Ste's original build for like 350 and change that is a super solid system, reuse the HDD's and the Optical drive, for the kind of work your dad does he won't notice the speeds that Sata gives you. You really only see that when you move huge files and unless he's gonna make an image of his HDD's and just copy and paste them willy-nilly the speed performance won't be noticed.

Even with your final build if you reuse the HDD's and Optical you are at around 470 then shipping costs which will put you right around the 500 mark.

Peter, the build that Ste put together does not include an OS or a case. With those included, it is still around 500 bucks. I am not trying to be rude but what is wrong with my suggestions?

One reason is once I get the new system built, I would like to sell the old system. I know I couldn't get much for it.

Another reason I don't reuse the hard drives is because the hard drive that has the OS on it, Windows would have to be reinstalled, right? Every time he reinstalls Windows, there is a program called PCDart that gives him fits when he tries to restore the information.

I realize that even if I buy new hard drives, I will still have to install Windows and go through recovering the information from PCDart. But I want to do it once and not have to reinstall for a while.

Now I wouldn't mind reusing the optical drives since he doesn't use them that much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom