Possible to build 2 process i7? (8 physical cores)

Status
Not open for further replies.

theheresy

Solid State Member
Hi guys..I'm new to all this tech stuff...is there an existing motherboard that can socket two i7 860's (or any other i7's for that matter) to make an 8core PC machine equivalent to a macpro 8core nehalem, etc?

How would I go about building such a bare bones system?

Thanks...

I do music production/film composition where the NORM is for numerous quadcore i7's slaved to a master 8core..so believe me I need the power/speed if that's what you're questioning, the question is how to do this?

The real question is your budget..

Budget is as cheap as possible. Preferably 1000 or lower for pure bare bones (no OS, stock, cheap graphics card as I don't need any graphics at all) etc...is it possible to do this for 1000 or how about 1500 or a little less?

Can I take the motherboard hefemeister just posted and stick two i7 860's on there? That should be roughly what 800-900 for just the mobo and the chips...is this doable guys?

Can I take the motherboard hefemeister just posted and stick two i7 860's on there?

From the mobo specification page.
Supported CPU
CPU Socket Type: Dual LGA 1366
CPU Type: Quad-Core Intel Xeon X5500 Series (95W)
Quad-Core Intel Xeon E5500 Series (80W)
Quad-Core Intel Xeon L5500 Series (60W/38W)

So no, core-i7 860 wont work.

The mobo hefe posted will not take i7 860s the i7 8** series are LGA1156 socket, while i7 9** series are LGA1366 socket. The one hefe posted is the latter.

And yes, this is doable. Shouldn't cost more than... 1200-1300?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom