Looking for help, Building a server based mobo PC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
1. Fine. But there are only 10 Mother Boards out there that support more than 100GB of RAM. Now the problem comes in that you can not find any RAM modules that can go into it to give you that amount of RAM. The fact is they come in sets of 3x4GB for a total of 12GB. Even with 18 slots you can get 6 sets. 6x12=72GB MAX RAM that you could get commercially. Well short of the 100+Gb you want.

2. It doesnt make sense to have a VM running if you are in game. What purpose does it serve? None. You could easily suspend the VM and play the game and not have to get a system like this. It is defeating the purpose in so many ways.

3. Yes for desktop versions of Windows that is the limit. Server OS's do not have such a limit but you are limited to what you can do with them as not every game works on a Server OS as it is not made to be used for this purpose. So even if you did install Server 2003 there is no guarantee that the games you want to play will work as it takes a lot of knowledge to get the Server OS to work like a desktop and even then you are still very limited to what you can install as the game itself has to be compatible with that OS. There are tricks but i wont go into detail as that information is not needed.

4. You want to use your current CPU as per your original post. You asked as bkolk pointed out that you were wondering if you could buy another CPU that is the same model as your current one. I mentioned the fact that you would have to use Xeon CPU's cause of this fact that you can not accomplish what you want given the information you gave.

Again all you have to do is check out NewEgg and you will see that what you aspire to do is not possible given the availability of products and their limitations. RAM is going to be the big one as there is no RAM sets out there available to buy by a consumer that will reach the plateau that you want. Then comes in the OS, and the CPU aspect. With all the parts running, there is no way possible that a 600W PSU will run it all. You will need that much just to drive the dual CPU's, RAM. That isnt even taking into account the fact you want to run dual video card. You will need at least 1000W PSU. simply for the fact that EACH video card requires a PSU of around 500W itself. Running 2 of them will require you to have more power.

This is all just information that you should know in order to really think about what you want to do. You never mention a price point. As this is going to run well over $5000 if not more to accomplish this.

This is all just information that you should know in order to really think about what you want to do. You never mention a price point. As this is going to run well over $5000 if not more to accomplish this.

What is your budget?

1.5k i only need ram cpu mobo and video card, with 1.3k or so i could get that bored i linked the 2 cpus 4GBram and 2 Newegg.com - PNY VCGGTS2501XPB GeForce GTS 250 1GB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards

if i did my math right xD

I just found this multi-quote tool today and i love it =).

Anyway fakebird, we really are just trying to educate you on reasonable setups(most efficient price wise) for specific desires you wish to use your computer for. We hate to see wasted money on computers.

I just found this multi-quote tool today and i love it =).

Anyway fakebird, we really are just trying to educate you on reasonable setups(most efficient price wise) for specific desires you wish to use your computer for. We hate to see wasted money on computers.

Well thank you for considering that :] the only problem is last time i bought my PC i payed 4k for my parts, it was the best processor on newegg and the best videocard biggest harddrive etc. and now its a pile of crap, and i understand that no one will buy a PC that never needs an upgrade, but i cant even put most videocards in it because its not x16 2.0. i doubt i could put a quad core in it, etc. I was just tyring to buy something that i can upgrade in the near future without replacing my mobo.

Well pci-e x16 2.0 is backwards compatible with 1.0 and there is no way you would use all of the bandwidth that 1.0 has to offer.

What motherboard do you have?

At this point in time lga 1366 and AM3 are the most future proof sockets.

Well pci-e x16 2.0 is backwards compatible with 1.0 and there is no way you would use all of the bandwidth that 1.0 has to offer.

What motherboard do you have?

At this point in time lga 1366 and AM3 are the most future proof sockets.

I will run CPU-z or z-cpu whatever its called and find out i dont remember off of the top of my head, aslo i am VERY sorry for swearing. i didnt know i was going past the filter i was trying to exaggerate the word, i wasnt trying to get past the filer. again im verry sorry and this wont happen again. (I am new to this forum sorry for this)

It is ok. **** happens. Run cpuz and lets see what board you have. who knows. I ran a gtx260 on a old a8n sli deluxe just for fun to bench it against my old 7800 gtx and it worked just fine short of the cpu bottleneck which I knew was going to be the case. :)

alright this is what it says about my mainboard.

intelcorp.
DG965WH( the W might be 2 Vs i have bad eyesight)
AAD41692-304

if any of the chipset info or any other info is needed let me know, if you cant find that board i might have misstyped and will tripple check it :]
thanks again for all the help guys

Yeah you could throw a conroe core2 in there but that would be a waste. Always worth a check. back to determining your next cpu and board.

what you suggested seemed amazing, that quad core build in the earlier post. i think i might do that.
EDIT: bassicly post me the best **** i can get :] your dream build, whatever it might be. i just want a good PC thatll last for a bit before upgrading.

Dream build would be around $10K and totally unnecessary.

My sig is the happy medium between dream and reality. Except with a better gpu.

Look at the posted builds already. There is a reason why when you go to build sites that they do not sell dual cpu gaming systems. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom