Need help with setting up RAID for my server

Status
Not open for further replies.

dmitrysm

Beta member
Hi everyone! I want to buy a new server for my small company (15 workers). I chose Dell Server T310 or T410 platform. Basically I will be a file server to share some important files inside my network. And I would like to have 4 hard drives (2 mirrored pairs). First pair is for operation system and all programs and second pair is for all my data. A guy on the phone from Dell suggested to buy RAID 5 controller and then reconfigure settings in BIOS in order to have 2 mirrored pairs of hard drives. I didn't find any information how to do it, So, I wonder if anyone has done it in the past and could explain me how to do it. Thanks

So you want 2 sets of raid1 (mirrored) arrays?

Raid5 (striped disks with distributed parity) would require 3 drives but does run faster than a raid1 array.

If you went that route you would need 2 drives for os and programs in raid1 and 3 drives for data in raid5.

Another option would be to have a large rad5 array with 2 partitions. One for OS and the other for data. Only 3 drives needed for this.

Usually you will have a raid bios that you can enter after post. Getting into it will vary depending upon what controller card you have or if you use a onboard controller.

Both raid 1 and 5 have fault tolerance which means you can loose 1 drive and still be operational. Keep in mind raid is in no way a replacement for backups.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom