Power supply compatibility?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tunabear

Beta member
a friend was throwing out a desktop that didn't work, and i figured i'd try to fix it.

it doesn't power on, but all lights are working. After much googling, i found that the power supply may be the culprit.

Will a Newegg.com - OCZ ModXStream Pro OCZ600MXSP 600W ATX12V V2.2 / EPS12V SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply compatible with core i7 - Power Supplies be safe to use in place of a Bestec ATX-300-12EB3 300 Watt Power Supply

i want to see if the motherboard needs to be replaced or just the power supply.

Thank You,

Tunabear

I have encountered an even larger problem.

The old power supply, where it connects to the cpu (on the Mobo) is now black inside the top two holes. The corresponding holes in the mobo are also black. Does that mean that i would have to replace both the mobo and power supply? =x

Thank you,
Tunabear

Well, thats not a good sign.

What I would do is disconnect all devices from the mobo except one stick of ram, video card and cpu/heatsink. (Especially make sure the harddrives are not attached)

Hook up the new power supply to all connections on the motherboard and video card.

Turn on the computer.

If it POSTs, then you should be able to reattach everything and use the computer normally.

If it does not POST or power on it means the mobo is likely dead from the last power supply. And you need to RMA (If still under warranty) this one or purchase a new one.

The reason why we remove all the other devices first is in case the mobo causes a short, it cannot damage anything else..

Ahh dang.

The problem is that the lights on the motherboard light up ( green power? light in the middle) but when the button is pushed nothing happens. I guess it is safe to assume that the motherboard is fried..?

Also, on ebay there is a replacement mobo for ~60 dollars after shipping.
The mobo is ???????????????????????????????

is there any cheaper motherboards that use the same type of chip/components?

Thanks for the answers!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom