Looking for help, Building a server based mobo PC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
well i picked out everything i wanted for under 1.5, whats funny about that ?

Do you want a killer gaming machine or a computer capable of running massive number crunching.

If you prefer the former go for a single cpu solution like my suggestion. If you prefer the later then go for yours.

Your call.

Also keep in mind that the 5970 is not in stock and lord knows when they will or what the price will be. $1,200 on fleabay if you have to have one. :)

Well that does seem like a better idea, keep in mind though, the games i play or plan on playing run just fine on the PC im using right now. The reason i wanted 2 Procs was because i wanted to devote one to a VM and the other to whatever games or ******** media i wanna play on windows. Would running that build you said be better for this hef ? and what i mean by games that run fine on this im talking old **** like 1.6/source, WoW, etc.

Ok when we asked you in the first post after yours what you wanted to do with the system. You said play games. You didn't say anything about what games you were running, and be default when you want a dual cpu system you probably think that you will get much better performance for gaming. You should have said what you wanted to do in your first response. /rant

If you're playing old games, then getting an i7 with a lot of ram will be fine for playing wow and having VM's up. I don't know why you'd want VM's up while you game as you can just suspend them and bring them back up when you can devote your time to using them, but that's your deal.

If i didnt want to do something with both at the same time i would just install the VM OS as my main one...>.>

Okay let me clear this up right now.

A. There is little to NO home based desktop mother board that can support 100GB of RAM. Check every site for mother boards and you will not find a single one that supports that amount of RAM. Even the SkullTrail Mobo's which did support 2 physical CPU's can only support 16GB. So unless you have some real fine connections to get a Data Server Mother Board, you can not get no 100GB supported on a desktop motherboard. Even the Server Mother boards for sale on NewEgg can only support 64 GB at most.

B. There is no reason to run VM with games. Let me tell you why. You can't do both at the same time!
Meaning that if you are in game, Windows will be focused there and you will be controlling the game, as soon as you try to even touch the VM system, the game will not be the focus and it will minimize and you will not be playing the game anymore. Before you even ask, no there is no way around this and no way to work with both at the same time from the same machine. So what Peter.Cort suggested is the best thing to do cause there is no way possible with Windows to run both at the same time, unless you are running games from within the VM itself.

C. You will need at least Vista Ultimate or Windows 7 Professional or above if you do plan on using 2 physical CPU's as XP does not have support for it. At all. The lower version of Vista do no and same with Windows 7.

D. To get 2 CPU's onboard you will NOT be able to use your current CPU as all Dual CPU mother boards run with the Xeon Processor. You can not use anything but that processor.

I hope you can now try to set some more resonible goals as the ones you are trying to reach are impossible for what you are working with.

Okay let me clear this up right now.

A. There is little to NO home based desktop mother board that can support 100GB of RAM. Check every site for mother boards and you will not find a single one that supports that amount of RAM. Even the SkullTrail Mobo's which did support 2 physical CPU's can only support 16GB. So unless you have some real fine connections to get a Data Server Mother Board, you can not get no 100GB supported on a desktop motherboard. Even the Server Mother boards for sale on NewEgg can only support 64 GB at most.

B. There is no reason to run VM with games. Let me tell you why. You can't do both at the same time!
Meaning that if you are in game, Windows will be focused there and you will be controlling the game, as soon as you try to even touch the VM system, the game will not be the focus and it will minimize and you will not be playing the game anymore. Before you even ask, no there is no way around this and no way to work with both at the same time from the same machine. So what Peter.Cort suggested is the best thing to do cause there is no way possible with Windows to run both at the same time, unless you are running games from within the VM itself.

C. You will need at least Vista Ultimate or Windows 7 Professional or above if you do plan on using 2 physical CPU's as XP does not have support for it. At all. The lower version of Vista do no and same with Windows 7.

D. To get 2 CPU's onboard you will NOT be able to use your current CPU as all Dual CPU mother boards run with the Xeon Processor. You can not use anything but that processor.

I hope you can now try to set some more resonible goals as the ones you are trying to reach are impossible for what you are working with.

1.I was talking about a server mobo.
2. There are plenty of reasons to do this. First id like to say that, i in no way, said i was trying to control both at the same time. Also, minimized ? I would have to be running the game in fullscreen and not in a window and i dont know why anyone would think of doing this. I was saying id like to have a VM running while playing a game, not i wanted to "focus" on both.
3.I was unaware that of XP/server03 not having this capability. Knowing that i would have to use vista/7 has changed my mind. I wouldnt do that to my PC.
4. I didnt not say i wanted to use my current CPU, i actually said i wanted to run 2 Xeons so I dont know why you said this ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom