Assistance Required: High End Gaming Rig

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh dirkpitt45, see what happens when you come at me (more specifically, my wallet) with logic? I never would have considered the issue of DX11 OR drivers.

Just to make sure I'm reading you correctly, you're telling me that that beast could pretty much run 3 monitors at a uber resolution, OR my two + a HDTV? And I won't lose my slots?

Yes that is what I'm telling you :p The 5870 has 2 DVI inputs, 1 HDMI, and 1 Displayport, so you can potentially run 4 monitors off of one card. Just from some quick searching I've found that all you need to set up Eyefinity is a monitor with a displayport connection, or a displayport adapter, for the native (wrong word, but the monitor you use to set everything up) monitor.

So using a 5870, or if your loaded, a 5970, you can run an insane amount of screens, at an insane resolution, for an insanely low price (minus the 5970....) compared to an Nvidia set up. Since you only need one card, so less cards = less heat, less power, less cost.

Youtube video I found :
YouTube - ATI Eyefinity Setup Guide

That, sir, is sexy.

I've done some list revising. If you're interested, I'd like your opinion on it. I'm also trying to figure out where to chop some costs (if possible.)

Yes that is what I'm telling you :p The 5870 has 2 DVI inputs, 1 HDMI, and 1 Displayport, so you can potentially run 4 monitors off of one card.

I believe the HDMI port and one of the DVI ports share the same connection, so you can only use 3 monitors at once. Not sure how relevant this is, but i just thought i'd clarify :p

Actually, it looks like the HDMI port is actually just a DVI adapter. So as far as the board ITSELF goes, it's DVIx2 + Mini-Display port. So three is the correct number.

As far as the build goes, I switched some stuff around. New list is as follows. I'd love some input.

Newegg.com - COOLER MASTER HAF 932 RC-932-KKN1-GP Black Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case - Computer Cases
Newegg.com - EVGA E758-A1 3-Way SLI (x16/x16/x8) LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards
Newegg.com - MSI R4650-MD512 Radeon HD 4650 512MB 128-bit GDDR2 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards
Newegg.com - HIS H597F2GDG Radeon HD 5970 (Hemlock) 2GB 512 (256 x 2)-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Dual GPU Onboard CrossFire Video Card w/ Eyefinity - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards
Newegg.com - Hauppauge WinTV-HVR 1850 (updated version of 1800) MCE Kit 1128 PCI-Express x1 Interface - TV Tuners & Video Devices
Newegg.com - CORSAIR CMPSU-850HX 850W ATX12V 2.3 / EPS12V 2.91 80 PLUS SILVER Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply - Power Supplies
Newegg.com - Intel Core i7-920 Bloomfield 2.66GHz 4 x 256KB L2 Cache 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops
Newegg.com - OCZ Apex Series OCZSSD2-1APX120G 2.5" 120GB SATA II MLC Internal Solid state disk (SSD) - Solid State Disks
Newegg.com - G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL8T-6GBRM - Desktop Memory
Newegg.com - Western Digital Caviar GP WD10000LSRTL 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Hard Drive -Retail
Newegg.com - LG Black 8X BD-ROM 16X DVD-ROM 40X CD-ROM SATA Internal Combo LG Blu-ray Reader & 16X LightScribe DVD±R DVD Burner - Blu-Ray Drives

Everything sounds good except you've listed two GPUs, HD4650 and HD5970. A mistake maybe?

No mistake. The second (smaller) GPU is a dedicated push for a HDTV. Although it seems that model was phased out of Newegg's inventory overnight. I'll have to find a similar HDCP compliant model to replace it.

Will there be any issues with Displayport while utilizing a second Gpu? Also, I swapped out the SSD card for an Intel Model.

Well, bad news... (Or maybe not?)

It looks like I'm going to have to hold off until mid January before I get to build this thing. Is there anything due out between now and then I should know about?

I'm still confused on the whole "using a second gpu to push an HDTV". Why bother? Get a DVD burner, some cheapo DVDs and there you go. Or buy a DVD player with a USB input, or use a usb key with an xbox 360 or ps3. Adding in a second video card for a TV is kinda pointless, and I imagine there'd be some complications with drivers and what not on deciding which card to use for which output.

Not sure much new stuff is coming out by january, kingstons 40gb intel memory controller SSD is the only thing that springs to mind. Fermi probably won't be out till february-march.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom