2x 9800 GTs to tide me over til nVidia 300 series?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alexinator

In Runtime
I am building an i7 machine right now, (i7 920, 6GB RAM, ASUS P6T Deluxe V2) and was planning on a 5870, but it looks like nVidia might finally pull their head out of their behinds and build a decent current card. So to tide me over I am thinking of buying 2 of the SPARKLE Calibre P980, which is a pretty sleek looking gard, has the two fancy LCDs and such built in. Would be 200 bucks.

I have a 8800 Ultra on hand that I'm not using, and I suppose I could use that too.. What's your recomendation?

If you absolutely can not wait at all and you want to spend $200 now, and then another $x00 down the road...while I wouldn't suggest it, if you are going to spend the $200 then you might as well get a single powerful GPU like the 4890:

Newegg.com - XFX HD-489X-ZSFC Radeon HD 4890 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards

The thing is, we hear March of 2010 for nVidia's new cards. But that could be BS at this point. You might be better off getting a 5870 all together, to avoid the wait and/or frustration.

you should still be able to get pretty good performance from your ultra, id say just keep it and save the money.

but for the nvidia cards, i think you should expect to pay more for any cards that offer equivalent performance from ati cards.

you should till be able to get pretty good performance from your ultra, id say just keep it and save the money.

but for the nvidia cards, i think you should expect to pay more for any cards that offer equivalent performance from ati cards.

I agree with keeping the ultra for now and waiting to get the card you really want.

I am building an i7 machine right now, (i7 920, 6GB RAM, ASUS P6T Deluxe V2) and was planning on a 5870, but it looks like nVidia might finally pull their head out of their asses and build a decent current card. So to tide me over I am thinking of buying 2 of the SPARKLE Calibre P980, which is a pretty sleek looking gard, has the two fancy LCDs and such built in. Would be 200 bucks.

I have a 8800 Ultra on hand that I'm not using, and I suppose I could use that too.. What's your recomendation?

keep the ultra, it'll still max any games out there :D

I mean, the cards can't be much more than a month away, so you should be fine for a month on an 8800 ultra.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom