chat, quicker response for support, & instant messaging

Status
Not open for further replies.

office politics

It's all just 1s and 0s
I was reading a thread earlier today and the poster made a comment asking for quicker responses. So, I thought that TF could provide a better service by creating a better view of users currently online in an instant messaging service.

If the poster could see a list of people using a instant messaging service, they could send a message via that application. The functionality is currently available in the system, but it is hidden a few clicks deep. I'm thinking you could make use of a sidebar to list the handles of online users.

Please reply with your thoughts.

Some, like myself, wouldn't want their IM info published. When I have mine up I keep it invisible as I tend to get pummeled by so many.

Many have their IM info on their profiles, though.

The IM services is already available.

In your UserCP, under Edit Your Details is the list of services where you can add your info. It is a personal choice. Just look as Osiris. He has them all listed and it shows when he posts.

Plain and simple a member can gripe about faster responses. But face the facts. IT IS A FORUM NOT A CHAT ROOM.

Having that kind of information readily available leaves the members with that information available open to queries from EVERYONE not just members. It also leaves them open for stupid spam via IM and possibly viruses. We are not here to risk people's PC's for faster responses cause some people dont understand how a forum operates and they made the mistake thinking that they would get immediate responses.

We are here to help, but we are not here to risk others for anything. Even faster response times. People need to learn that a forum is not a Instant Messenger. they also need to learn that a instant response is not always the best response.

i do agree with making the proposed changes it could open people up to spam. It's definately something that would keep this from taking off.

However, I like to think of TF as a Social Community rather just a forum. There is multiple different web 2.0 technologies in use; profiles, specialized discussion groups, private PM system.

We are currently looking at some things that should add to the community feel of TF. vBulletin 4 will be out soon and it adds a LOT of new stuff. Larry is also looking at other avenues to help with community, such as making the home page a portal (again figures back to vB 4).

i do agree with making the proposed changes it could open people up to spam. It's definately something that would keep this from taking off.

However, I like to think of TF as a Social Community rather just a forum. There is multiple different web 2.0 technologies in use; profiles, specialized discussion groups, private PM system.
Most of which is already alive and active on this very site.

Visitor Messages on profiles
Groups that can be created and joined freely and posted in
PM System for anyone over 40 posts

Just about everything you said is already active without having to have the possibility of people getting spam. We are a social community and those that want this information present have the option available. Those that do not wish to have this information present dont have it available. There is no reason to open up and publically display people IM information or Email information. Even having my email and Trotter's email listed in the rules generates so much spam mail that i have to delete my junk items at least once a day. Having IM info publiclly posted is not the way to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom