De - Partitioning

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lrr

Baseband Member
Alright so i recently partitioned my hd so i could install windows xp 64 (total flop) and now i want it gone. problem? i have files on that side and not enough left on the "origonal" C: side 2.2gb left and i need to move over bout 35gb from X: is there a way to either clear out windows and de-partition with out loosing my data. or replace it with linux, again with out loosing any of my files. i have a dvd burner so i could archive but who wants to spend the time to put 35gb onto about 7 disks?

Lrr said:
Alright so i recently partitioned my hd so i could install windows xp 64 (total flop) and now i want it gone. problem? i have files on that side and not enough left on the "origonal" C: side 2.2gb left and i need to move over bout 35gb from X: is there a way to either clear out windows and de-partition with out loosing my data. or replace it with linux, again with out loosing any of my files. i have a dvd burner so i could archive but who wants to spend the time to put 35gb onto about 7 disks?

I don't see any way out without purchasing a program to do it

PartitionMagic will prolly do it for u, use the "merge" option and the files shouldn't be erased (not sure about this).

ok, I need more info, are the 37GB and the 2.2GB partition on the same drive?

U need PartitionMagic 8 to do the merge safely. But its much safer to hook up an extra drive to ur comp and backup the data. I would always backup data when merging, moving or resizing partitions.

there are 2 partitions on a 160gb drive each about 57gb on C: drive i have only 2gb left.

And i do have partition magic 8.0

And i dont suppose theres and way to get rid of win 64 with out a reformat?

C: has now onaly 7gb left on it And D:has 27gb left and 23 used. and C: is the partition which i would like to keep intact as it has my prymary os (xp). D: tho i would like to keep the video files i have on it in tacct. if possible.
can one delete windos?

I don't think u can delete windows without formatting. U have to backup the files on the partition u want 2 format somehow, eithe on DVD or CD. And then merge the partitions.

use PQmagic.

is it possible to merge partitions with files on it or dose one have to wipe cleen first?

U can do it while keeping the data. Partition Magic will move the data and put them at the start of your harddrive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom