Assistance Required: High End Gaming Rig

Status
Not open for further replies.

wicked_chicken

Solid State Member
Hey Everyone,

Before I get into the topic, just though I'd introduce myself. I'm Wicked_Chicken! *Wave*

Now with the formalities are over with...

I'm currently in the process of specing together a high end gaming rig I'm hoping to build before the year is out. I haven't owned a desktop for nearly 7 years, and I think the last time I installed something, it was a bran-spankin' new Geforce 400. I've been doing as much reading online as I can to try and catch up with the current tech, but I'm still a little confused on a few issues.

My current proposed build list is as follows:

Case: Antec 1200 Newegg.com - Antec Twelve Hundred Black Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case - Computer Cases
Mobo: EVGA E758-A1Newegg.com - EVGA E758-A1 3-Way SLI (x16/x16/x8) LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards
CPU: Intel Core i7 920 Newegg.com - Intel Core i7-920 Bloomfield 2.66GHz 4 x 256KB L2 Cache 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops
RAM: 12G G.Skill DDR3 1600 Newegg.com - G.SKILL 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Triple Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9T-6GBNQ - Desktop Memory
PSU: Corsair CMPSU-1000HX Newegg.com - CORSAIR CMPSU-1000HX 1000W ATX12V 2.2 / EPS12V 2.91 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Modular Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply - Power Supplies
HD: 4x WD Caviar 1TB Newegg.com - Western Digital Caviar Black WD1001FALS 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drives -Bare Drive
Heatsink: CM Hyper N520 Newegg.com - COOLER MASTER Intel Core i7 compatible Hyper N 520 RR-920-N520-GP 92mm Sleeve CPU Cooler - CPU Fans & Heatsinks
DVD: LG Blu-Ray Newegg.com - LG Black 8X BD-ROM 16X DVD-ROM 40X CD-ROM SATA Internal Blu-ray Reader & 16x DVD Burner - Bulk Model UH08LS10K LightScribe Support - Blu-Ray Drives
GPUs: 2x EVGA Geforce GTX 275 SCE Newegg.com - EVGA 017-P3-1176-AR GeForce GTX 275 Superclocked Edition 1792MB 448-bit DDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards
1x Geforce 9400 GT Newegg.com - MSI N9400GT-MD1G GeForce 9400 GT 1GB 128-bit GDDR2 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards

My questions are as follows:

I want to run the two 275's in SLI, and use the 9400 as a dedicated card to push an HDTV. According the SLI Zone, this shouldn't be an issue. However, the PCIe slot I'd be using this x16 card is a x8 slot. From what I can tell after looking at the motherboard, is that the 9400 will indeed fit in the slot, and simply be restricted to the 8x speed. Is that correct?

Also, another option is to upgrade to a different motherboard, something like the EVGA E760 Classified (Newegg.com - EVGA E760 CLASSIFIED "Overclocker's Pick" 3-Way SLI + PhysX 1366 Intel X58 EATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards) My question is, can I use NON-graphics cards that are PCIe in extra PCIe slots? I'd like to be able to run a nice PCIe tuner or raid card (Raid 5 is on mobo, I'd like to run 10)as well, and have pretty much run out of room.

Any thoughts, comments, or suggestions are grealy appreciated. Hopefully I've provided enough information for you guys. If not, feel free to shout at me :)

With 3 graphic cards your not going to have access to the other slots, you might squeeze a card in next to the 9400 GT if your lucky. But to be honest your not going to need a dedicated PhysX card right now. You should wait on that until you need it, you'll get a better card at a lower price by then.

The Classified is really only needed for Extreme Overclocking with Extreme Cooling. I've owned the E758-A1 and the E760 Classified, I say stick to the E758-A1. Actually, you may be best off getting the Gigabyte X58 mobo. It's the most recommended mobo for use with SLI and extra add-on cards.
Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GA-EX58-UD5 LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards

With 3 graphic cards your not going to have access to the other slots, you might squeeze a card in next to the 9400 GT if your lucky. But to be honest your not going to need a dedicated PhysX card right now. You should wait on that until you need it, you'll get a better card at a lower price by then.

The Classified is really only needed for Extreme Overclocking with Extreme Cooling. I've owned the E758-A1 and the E760 Classified, I say stick to the E758-A1. Actually, you may be best off getting the Gigabyte X58 mobo. It's the most recommended mobo for use with SLI and extra add-on cards.
Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GA-EX58-UD5 LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards

The 9400 isn't going to be a PhysX card. The idea is to run two monitors in SLI, and to use the third monitor to push a HDTV. I'm pretty sure the 9400 is a single slot, althought I think you're right about the 1x being blocked.

I'm sure I'll be pushing the computer beyond it's stock limits. How far is yet to be known. I did look into both Gigabyte and ASUS boards, and to be honest, their customer service records kind of scare me. EVGA seems to have their act together. (And I believe they're American? That's a plus too.)

I just found this image of the Classified. Apparently, it's actually possible to use every slot... something I wasn't sure about, but am very happy about.

285x5820classifedme3.jpg

^^ I'd never do that :p Heat would be a huge issue I'd imagine, and that smaller card between the 285's would fry...

Why not try to pick up a couple 5870's or a 5970. The 5870's will beat the 275s no problem, and the 5970 is pretty much the same, just clocked slightly slower. With a single 5970, sure you've got a giant card, but it'll make far less heat two 275s with a 9400 mashed in there.

Newegg.com - XFX HD-597A-CNF9 Radeon HD 5970 (Hemlock) 2GB 512 (256 x 2)-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Dual GPU Onboard CrossFire Video Card w/ Eyefinity - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards

Probably take a while to get one though, sell out almost instantly.

I'm also not to clear on the point of the extra 9400 card. Nvidia Ion netbooks can run HDTV, and if your getting any high end graphics card what's the point? With a 5970 you could probably play crysis maxed, and watch t.v. and not notice any slowdown. HDTV doesn't seem to use any graphics power from my 4850 or cpu, 4850 goes up a degree or two maybe. Also with the new Dx11 ATI cards you could run an Eyefinity set up with your 3 monitors.

In order to run 2 Monitors and a HDTV *simultaneously* while utilizing SLI, you've got to run a third card. Now, if the 5970 can run all three of those, without eating away at performance, I'd definitely consider it (Assuming I could find one)

I'm still not getting it :/ You want your pc to act as a gaming rig and an HTPC at the same time?

Sorry to question, but doesn't make sense to me..

A 5970 is wasted on anything less then two monitors. It's ridiculously powerful. I'd set it up with 3 monitors in portrait, cause its unique and looks awesome. Here's a quick pic I found for eyefinity.

ati_eyefinity_configs-564x440.png

I'm still not getting it :/ You want your pc to act as a gaming rig and an HTPC at the same time?

Sorry to question, but doesn't make sense to me..

A 5970 is wasted on anything less then two monitors. It's ridiculously powerful. I'd set it up with 3 monitors in portrait, cause its unique and looks awesome. Here's a quick pic I found for eyefinity.

ati_eyefinity_configs-564x440.png

No, you're fine. Nothing wrong with asking questions :) MY PC is pretty much my hub. I like it to do everything, and I usually ask it to do more than I should :cool:. You're correct in asking if I want it to do both. The answer is yes. Now, will I need it to do both at the same time? Well... maybe not. After reading some reviews on the card, it definately looks like I'd be able to handle my workload. Even if I kept my dedicated HDTV card, it'd free up a slot, and might even give me an extra monitor...

Interesting.

That 3x1 Portrait setup is INCREDIBLY interesting. I'd never have considered that before...

Hmmmm... Thoughts?

That is one wicked set-up.

I do agree that if you go with that set up, that some how you get alot of fans blowing on those cards.....because that seems that it would be a nightmare as far as heat goes.

You sure would not be short on power with that set up :tongue:

If I used the setup as pictures, it probably WOULD be a PITA regarding heat. However, in my initial setup, I'm only running two in SLI. Still, it'd be hotter than **** in there.

I'm considering the Radeon. Still reading about it...

Plus the gtx 200 series are last gen now. Dx 10, the ATI 5000 series are all DX11, which is also the reason the gtx's can still compete. There are no dx11 games, and the drivers for the ATI cards are all new and not up to par with drivers released a year and half ago. So the 5970 will continue to become faster as new drivers are released, to a point. Where as the 275s will continue to slow down as new software comes out :p.

Also, ATI cards are far better bang for your buck then Nvidia most of the time. 5970's are about $100 more then the gtx 295, and the 5870's are about $100 less. The 5870 is comparable to the 295, but its only a single gpu card, while the 295 is dual. The 5970 is also a dual gpu card, and it rips the 295 :p.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom