Computer for mother

Status
Not open for further replies.

DarkMassacre

In Runtime
My mother's computer is about five years old now I think, and she's wanting me to build her a new one. She doesn't want the latest and greatest, she really only plays WoW so she needs something that will play it nicely. Besides that she makes general use of the Internet and not much else. I'm not really sure what to look for in parts for a computer like that, so I was hoping I could gain some insight here. There is no price limit per say, but if we can, let's keep it modest, something around 400 dollars if possible. She already has a monitor, keyboard, and mouse. We could use her old Dell case again if need be and she's already got 2 gigs of RAM she can re-use.

can you give the model # of the dell case, just to check like if it only supports m-atx mobos or something like that?

and do you know what kind of ram is it that shes already got? like 2gigs of ddr, ddr2, ddr3?

is there anything else that you/she might have around like an optical drive or hard drive that might be able to be re-used?

she also needs an OS in her budget?

If your mothers dell is about 5 years like you said either she is using a dell dimensionn 2400 or one of the better built 2004 optiplexes 750 and above.

Her Ram is probably using DDR333 or DDR400 most of the dells back than only the ram maximized to atleast 2gbs of ram.

What I would advise that you do is replace the microatx board, ram power supply and heatsink fan with cpu.

Also the reason why I may know this my mother owns a 2004 dell and I wouldn't be surprised if it's alot like yours. ;)

Start out by looking at this and let the others give you other opinions

Newegg.com - Intel Pentium E5300 2.6GHz 2MB L2 Cache LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops

Newegg.com - BIOSTAR G31E-M7 LGA 775 Intel G31 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards

SO far that would be atleast 115.00 with free shipping

Newegg.com - MASSCOOL 8WT15-38 90mm Long life Bearing CPU Cooler - CPU Fans & Heatsinks

Newegg.com - G.SKILL 1GB 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Desktop Memory Model F2-6400CL5S-1GBNQ - Desktop Memory

Now it will be somewhere at 152.00 total.

for the video ask the others for help not my main strong point:
Newegg.com - Computer Hardware,Video Cards & Video Devices,Desktop Graphics / Video Cards,ATI

Finally windows 7

Newegg.com - windows

With OS included of which ever one you pick and a video card you should be a lil bit under 400.00 total.

Goodluck shopping.

MikeFuryXP

I see I have some replies already, I was hoping I could get some extra information down before that. Ah well. She's using a Dell 4700. She has 2 gigs of DDR2 RAM. She doesn't need an OS, optical drive, or a hard drive. Thanks to those who have already answered.

You might want pick up a good video card has WoW will be having that revamp in the new year. From what I have been hearing, they will be revamping the graphics so playies can take advantage of newer video cards.

can you give the model # of the dell case, just to check like if it only supports m-atx mobos or something like that?
The problem with most Dells in my experience is that they have the rear IO Panel can not be removed. So it makes installing a new motherboard rather tricky unless own a dremel.

another suggestion, could also look at these parts.

but note: these prices could change since some of these deals are currently being discounted due to the cyber monday sale; but afterwards, the prices probably wont change that much, but will likely increase a bit.

total $404 w/ free shipping on everything; possible $40 back in rebates

Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, Digital Cameras and more!
Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, Digital Cameras and more!
Newegg.com - XFX HD-487A-ZWFC Radeon HD 4870 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards

and you can re-use the 2gigs of ddr2, optical drive and hdd, and you said shes already got an OS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom