Graphics card upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

Runfox

In Runtime
I am wondering if it would be worth upgrading my graphics card...
My comp specs:
CPU-AMD Athlon 64 x2
MB - EVGA K8-NF41 PCIExpress x16
Mem - 4gig ( 4x1) DDR400
Current Graphics card - NVIDIA 7800GT
I'm have to keep this computer and see if I can get any improvement for cheap till next summer/fall when I can afford a new build. Any graphic card upgrade would have to be PCI express x16.

I was wondering if it would be worth it to buy a
Galaxy 95TGE8HUFEXX GeForce 9500 GT 1GB 128-bit GDDR2 PCI Express x16 HDCP Ready Video Card $67.00 as an upgrade, if it would give me any improvement gaming wise?

Or would it be better to go SLI? I don't think I can get another card like mine , it's old .

How about twin BFG Tech BFGR79512GTOCE GeForce 7900GT 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 SLI in SLI mode? at $50.00 each that's only $100.00 total . Just wondering if any of these options would be worth it? I mainly play HL2 DOD, would like to have more FPS, would really like to be able to play COD4 MW2 , but I don't know...

Can my CPU even handle SLI? I'm not sure how to even set that up??Or will my CPU be the bottleneck with SLI? I guess I also have to see if my PSU wil handle SLI , I think my case can handle the heat, it is large with several 120 fans.

no, i wouldnt run two low end cards in sli. the extra power needed and heat that will be generated just isnt worth it IMO.

in your price range, this looks like a prefect card for you and will play those games well.
Newegg.com - SAPPHIRE 100295HDMI Radeon HD 4670 512MB 128-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards

or if you want to spend a little more
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161260&cm_re=4830-_-14-161-260-_-Product

Thanks for the help MuffinMan and Trotter, I am not up to speed on graphics cards. I have been a long time NVIDIA fan for ease of driver install and bang for the buck but hey, you guys know better then. So Muffin that sapphire card will be a straight replacement , I should have sufficient power from my power supply for that right? I would love to be able to play MW2 with some friends. Reading the reviews on that sapphire card they say make sure your system can support PCI express 2.0, I don't know if my MoBo does.

I read all through my motherboard manual, EVGA 133-KF-41 , I dont see any where it supports PCI express 2.0, just PCI-Express Base Specification revision 1.0a , PCI Express x16. Which rules out the options you all gave me.Which leaves me with the GeForce 9500GT, so would I see any improvement with that card, or should I just leave it alone?

you will have no problems running a "2.0" card in your mobo, it is backwards compatible. they would run fine so the options Trotter and i gave you are still open to you, just depends how much you wanna spend.

for us to know if you have sufficient power, you should post your power supply make and model, or the watts/amps that it can supply. you can find this info on the power supply itself.

the 9500gt doesn't offer much of upgrade over the 7800gt; so i don't recommend you do that. Like muffin man said, a 2.0 card is backwards compatible so you shouldn't have any problems running the aforementioned cards.

So it just depends how much you're willing to spend. 4670 is great, for another $35 you get the 4830, for another $20 you get the 4850, for another $35 you get the 4870.. and so on.

Here's the rankings of the different cards, Runfox:
http://www.techist.com/forums/f76/graphics-performance-list-212331/

That ought to help you better make your decision.

ATI's drivers do require uninstalling and cleaning, but that's the only real difference between the two as far as installation goes. I always uninstall and clean when I update my Nvidia drivers, too. I normally run ATI but got this card at an awesome price. That, and the upper Nvidia line are great for Folding. ;)

OK backward compatible,,,,, I didn't know that. My power supply is an Antec HE550, 550watt. OK I read the specs on the HD 4670 and HD 4830 and they say min 400w PSU , 500W recommended for cross fire so I should be good. I'll have to get through the holidays then see how much money I can spare for an upgrade card.

So I'm still wondering , if these ATI cards are such better performers and more bang for the buck, why do I see less reviews for them on NewEgg than the NVIDIA cards, it still looks like the NVIDA cards are more popular. But Ill take you guys word, you know more than I do. So if I get an HD4670 I can play MW2? Thanks for all the help everyone............

A 550W will run just about any card out there so you are good on that front.

Yes, PCI-E x16 1.0 and 2.0 are interchangeable. There's not really any cards out there that can completely saturate the 1.0 bandwidth, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom