Mobo and CPU problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

konstheo

Beta member
Some days ago, I assembled my new PC from scratch for the first time ever :thumbsup: (so far I had only added or removed expansion cards on my old pc!!!!). So far so good not withstanding some issues that came up for which I'd like some help from someone more experienced.

My mobo is GIGABYTE EP43T-UDL3 and the processor Core 2 Duo E7500, 2.93GHz

Issue No 1: My proccessor (Core 2 Duo E7500, 2.93GHz) was not recognised properly by the mobo (despite the compatibility). In the POST screen it was reading 266x8.5=2.26GHZ instead of 266x11=2.93GHz meaning that the BIOS had incorrectly chosen an 8.5 multiplier instead of 11 (note that the value 266 is correct since the FSB of the processor is 1066MHz).

So, I entered the BIOS and chose the correct 11x multiplier which, by the way, was the max choice available.

Is that all that I should do? How do I know that there aren't any other values regarding the processor which were as well incorrectly set by the BIOS (eg voltage value set lower due to the initial improper set of the multiplier to a lower value)?

Issue No 2: According to the manual there is a spot on the mobo in which voltage pins for the speaker, power button, reset button etc are concentrated. There are sound instructions on how to make the connections, but there is one problem regarding the polarities. My case's connectors do not have THEIR polarities noted on them so there is a chance of mistakenly connecting a + pin on the mobo with a - of the case's respective connector (eg for the reset button). And of course I am afraid I might mess up either the motherboard or the case.

Of course I was forced to blind-connect at least the power button so I could turn on the computer for the first time. It seems that it is properly connected because I could turn on the PC, but I've activated an option in the BIOS to switch it on from the keyboard just to be safe.

I have attached a link to the page from the mobo manual and two links with the connectors of my case.

Any help would be highly appreciated.

http://users.auth.gr/~konstheo/1.jpg
http://users.auth.gr/~konstheo/2.jpg
http://users.auth.gr/~konstheo/3.jpg

PS: My drawings rock, don't they?? :silly:

1. Is Speedstep, it reduces the multiplier when the CPU is not fully loaded (not 100% utilization).
2. That's not a problem, it will not short the case's switches nor the board.

Issue 1- If the bios doesn't recognize your cpu correctly then you have to set it yourself. You could try updating the bios, but this can be dangerous to your mobo if done incorrectly.

Issue 2 - try the connectors one way, if they don't work try flipping them. I plug them in so that any writing on the connector is facing down (or away from the mobo).

Thank you both. I was hesitant to experiment with the connectors thinking of the potential risks. Now that I know there isn't any danger for the mobo or the case I'll act appropriately.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom