$800-$900 Build for Friend

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guttzu

In Runtime
Hey everyone!!! I have talked to my friend and he is looking to build a new computer. I offered to build it for him for free because building mine was a blast. His price range is 800-900 and he already has a mouse,keyboard,monitor so all he needs is the tower. I'm selling him my EVGA GTX285 for $100 because I want to see him with a good rig plus I'm planning on picking up the new Nvidia 300 series when it comes out! Are we looking more at an AMD build or an Intel? I know for sure the HDD is going to be a 640 gig caviar black and I'm giving him some 120mm case fans for free (S-Flexes). let me know what you guys think!!!

Here is what I am thinking so far:

HDD: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...319&cm_re=caviar_black-_-22-136-319-_-Product
Video Card: $100 for EVGA GTX285 (gift yay!)
PSU: 650watt or 750watt? If 750 then I'm thinking: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139006&cm_re=corsair-_-17-139-006-_-Product
Case: Antec 900 or Cooler Master HAF 922?

Man, you're hooking you buddy up big time! He's going to have a really nice gaming rig. I'd say go with a Core i5 750, a mid range mobo, and 4GB of DDR3-1600 Cas 7's. I'd go with a Corsair 750W. I'm a big fan of the Cooler Master HAF's. Is he going to overclock? You seem to know what you're talking about, but if you want some specific product questions or help with specific parts, just ask.

EDIT- Come to think of it, maybe 8GB instead, since he has some cash to spare. I'm sure we'll see the day you'll use more than 4GB relatively soon. Maybe even the Core i7 860 for socket 1156?

Ok so far I have these parts lined up for him...

CPU: Newegg.com - Intel Core i5-750 Lynnfield 2.66GHz 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1156 95W Quad-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops
MB: Not that familiar with the 1156 socket boards... No problems with my EVGA yet...
Case: Newegg.com - COOLER MASTER HAF 922 RC-922M-KKN1-GP Black Steel + Plastic and Mesh Bezel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Computer Cases
RAM: 4gigs of something DDR3... OCZ good?
PSU: Newegg.com - CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply - Power Supplies
Video Card: 100$ EVGA GTX 285 my gift to him
HDD: Newegg.com - Western Digital Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

Most likely an aftermarket Heatsink as he wants to do some OC'n. Feel free to add stuff to the list and change stuff up if you guys want... just want to get a good idea for this build :)

I ask this because I'm not 100% sure what the consensus on these boards is on this, but what about Windows 7 Pro? I was under the impression it's better to go this route because of more networking options.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom