Need to find Laptop /Tablet for Xmas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gothch1ck

Daemon Poster
Ok so ... I snooped in my roomies room (I was cleaning the food stuffs!!) and I bumped his mouse and his screen resumed normal activity, which had about 30 pages open of documentation and gifts...

Well.. this shocked and amazed me... he had about 20 gifts to other people (some he barely knows, but moved in nearby and he wanted to be nice) and he's somehow got most of the gifts paid for (scratched through with a happy face nearby)

But.. there are a couple he's apparently troubled with. The big one, is for his own personal use. I imagine since money is tight (we are barely making rent) he put this one off for the reason it's for him - it's at the very bottom of the list, with 2 things he has yet to buy for some more people, and I don't imagine he plans to get to it, ever.

I want to find something for him. I mean.. he spent money and got a couple we barely know that just moved in a PC so that the mommy of the 4 month old could get online and do stuff like work at home to make their lives easier... my roomy definately deserves a happy christmas as well. I also told him I don't want anything -but he has my name listed and crossed off with a happy face... so I know he got me something.

I know what programs he uses on his PC and I did 2 weeks research now to figure stuff out.

He needs a tablet for his work, kinda like I wanted, but not for games.

It needs an Active Digitizer for the Pen (so wacom pens work and stuff) for better accuracy drawing, it also needs the specs of a P4 2.0Ghz Processor, and at least 2GB RAM. a 60GB Harddrive will suffice for him, he will probably only take it to Denny's and such to draw and work there.
Capacive touches are "new" and more expensive - and he probably won't ever use it, so if it's a dual digitizer, get a Active/Resistance version to save money if you can.

I have been googling and Ebay searching for days and Can't find much of anything. I even hit some other forums but they were of 0 use.

Fujitsu Lifebook T4215 is on Ebay now and I have an offer pending with the seller for reasonable since it's damaged, but I don't know if it'll work....

If anyone can help me find one that would be great, I can only really find the "brand new series" of things, like the LifeBook® T4310 Tablet PC, while seemingly perfect for his use, it's a tad expensive at $1000.

His exes and friends called him the nicest guy in the world.. and now I realize that is true more then ever, for months he has put off buying things he wants (TV, Wii, GPU, Games) just to save money to buy nearly everyone he knows stuff for Xmas... and I don't feel this should go un-noticed.... he should get something nice this Xmas for himself, and that Tablet idea is perfect for him, he can work on the go and take the net and fun with him, and relax a little in between.

Please help me guys, I don't want my roomies Christmas to be empty like the last few years.

oh and just to make sure, if I do get one with less ram to putmore in, if it support 667, I can put ddr2 800 in - but it will run at 667 instead, right? (not hurt it?) The tablet listed on ebay with damage has 2gb , so probably 2x1gb, and a 2x2Gb kit is $80 in newegg, and it's the same prices for 667 as 800, so i figure get 800, and then if he gets another laptop later with ddr2 sdram he could use the 800 in it.

ah nm i suggested something before I read your requirements.

as for your ram yes you can put faster ram in but its still going to run and 667.

Man I have the worste luck.

Theone I looked at (HP Tx2000 series) has a GPU overheat problem, which can cause the unit to shut down (even permanently) plus kill it's wifi... (RROD anyone? lol)

however on the off chance I do get one that doesn't have that issue -ebay has them all for out of my price range >< $450+ when I only have about $330 now to spend. I can't find any nice seller to go lower with best offers either.. bunch of meanies. (One came close, but is a reseller and $390 is as low as he'd go)

I hate all the buyers on Ebay that just buy to resell for profit >< they are ruining this gift giving experience!

NEW REQUIREMENTS!!!
Ok due to the lack of everything let's go a bit more simple on the needs.
P4 2.0ghz required (so Core 2 Duo .. what.. 1.6? something like that?) Or any dual core clocked at 1.5+Ghz. should work fine... maybe even lower.
RAM - (2 slots) I don't care if it has ANY to start, I can buy fresh.
HDD -any working size. (as long as windows fits on it the other programs aren't that big - under 1GB for all 3 that are used, so 20GB is even good)
Must be Wacom Penenabled (so almost any Tablet - just not a few Gateways that use FinePoint.)
WIFI must work.

Brand - any.

Damages - the screen is the only thing not allowed to have too much damage, preferred none, no scratches scuffs or broken glass/lcd. The keyboard has to work (of course) but the rest of the plastic housing could be held together with duct tape, it doesn't matter.

Keep an eye out for Overheating GPU problem Tablets... it can be that model - but it needs to not of had that issue before (then it'll be up to us to keep it cooled before problems start)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom