vista sp2 download killed my wifes laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.

trlast09

Beta member
so i downloaded sp2 for vista on my wifes laptop and now it wont even boot up. it comes to the splash screen for about a second and then bsod for .0001 seconds and restarts... i cant get the blue screen info ... and i cant find the fregin option to not restart after failed boot.... any help would be good... its a compaq presario c700... ill update if i can get the blue screen to slow the eff down

thanks!

ok so the error is

PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA

Technical information:
***STOP: 0x00000050 (ox880118f8, 0x00000001, ox81c1f396, 0x00000000)

if that helps any more...

i dont have any vista recovery disks, warranty is out, im kinda backed up against the wall... i ran startup recovery, system recovery... no go.

Have you tried to run memtest 86+? A bad RAM module will sometimes throw that error for no apparent reason. It is possible one of the newer updates in SP2 is trying to access something that it can't access.

whats memtest 86+? i ran the diagnostic in the bios for the ram and the hard drive and nothing came back negitive

from the microsoft site.. it was legit... and it is a laptop but when i got to run the recovery it just bluescreens

If it is bluescreening while trying to use the recovery partition, then it is either the HDD, or RAM...

Memtest 86+ runs extensive diagnostics of your RAM...

Because he has stated that he has attempted using the recovery partition, which is left unchanged at all times, most of the time you don't even see that partition while under windows. Any windows updates, will not effect any recovery partitions.

Agreed, it is probably just bad timing. If he is getting the BSOD when loading into the recovery partition that tells me that the update had nothing to do with this (as the update doesn't touch or even know the other partition is there) and it is a hardware issue.

well thanks for all the suggestions.... im going to try and wipe and reload.... ill let yall know if the os works or if its the ram...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom