Extreme build needing Extreme advice

Status
Not open for further replies.
XFX, Sapphire, and HIS are all good. Also Gigabyte, and Diamond I have heard do pretty well lately..

edit: Sapphire from my personal experience I've never had issues with. Not sure how others feel.

The i7 920 FTW.

You'll be better off buying a Corsair Power Supply over the Antec.

Skip the Crucial Memory and go for one of the sets Hefe recommended. It looks like your planning on overclocking so stick with just 6GB's, a 12GB setup won't overclock as well.

If your not going to wait for the Nvidia 300 series video cards you should go with the ATI cards. The GTX 295 was and is a waste of money. Your building a Top-Tier PC so why are you wanting to Handicap it.

The Iwear and the Neural Impulse Actuator are really funny, I hope your joking. You could just set some cash on fire, at least it will keep you warm for a few seconds.

The OCZ Phase-Change is for Experienced Users. Unless you know what your doing be prepared to buy replacement parts.

the Iwear and NIA are definates, call it some experimental things I wanna do. the ram, psu, and cpu are already changed... I'm considering the GPU's... guess I gotta look up news on the 300 series, otherwise will go with the 5970

Ah I was just going to reply to this but everyone has commented :tongue: the 5970's really are great, if you can find them. Amazon has the Diamond 5970's but they are a little more pricey and I'm not sure what's up the "usually takes 3-5 weeks for shipping", so if you do go that route you might as well wait it out on newegg or somewhere similar.

Just going to chime in here and suggest 2 5770 GPU cards in crossfire mode. Less than $400.00 for both on newegg and I don't think there is a game out there that would choke this combo. Then again I could be wrong if you are just building a benchmarking machine. Wait for the prices to fall on the 5970's. $600.00+ for 1 card is a little over the top.

+1 on the 920 proccessor.

Smashedpumpkins-LOL!! I wish I could afford that right now! but thanks to you I found another useful piece of my build that I was unable to find previously... the Bigfoot Killer NIC! tac on 99 dollars to the build, up to 2800 :/ but it'll be SOOO worth it!
Demented, and all I guess lol, I'm going to actually go with the 275GTX... 300$ for 2GB...

my goal with the iwear and nia was an inexpensive all immersive vr setup, esp with full on surround sound to finish off the effect. like I said, it's a pet project to see how far I can push it. I did a lil more looking around, the cheapest 1978mb 275 is 289... if I get the EVGA nVidia stuff, won't I qualify for the step-up program, thereby allowing me to pick up the 300 series when it comes out? and I'm thinking that I'm gonna have to shave off the iwear, I can do without that for a bit. checked into the SSD's, and... well until I can personally test the durability and speed of mlc vs slc, I will not be getting SSD... the velociraptor will do fine for my needs. are there any ideas about what case to use, I've looked at numerous pictures of the Cryo-Z and looked at that Lian Li case and it looks like it'll be close, I've just a question... does the Cryo-Z need to be grounded to it's case? if so is it going to be bad to have it grounded to my pc case if I xfer all the inerds to the Li?

No, the phase-change doesn't need to be grounded to the case. You'll need to buy a bunch of case fans as the compressor will get quite warm, otherwise your video card and all the other components will get quite warm while the cpu is chilling. I recommend keeping them separate (phase & case).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom