Need to boot to USB

Status
Not open for further replies.

SThompson86

In Runtime
Hello all, I was given a somewhat old laptop tonight that does not have a cdrom only a diskette drive. I would like to reformat, but bios(yes I updated to the latest version) has no option to boot to USB. I have tried using my Symantec Ghost diskette but the USB drive doesn't even show up in the Ghost console.

I am hoping you all may not of a solution, for I have been searching online for a about 2 hours and trying different things but I cant find anything.

If I can boot to USB I can either install the OS through a flash drive or my external cdrom.

Thanks in advance

Its a Toshiba 1200 s1s2 . Its one of those laptops where you can swap the diskette drive and cdrom out. unfortuantly I was not given the cdrom. I figured there may be a tool or something that could i load to diskette to give me ability to boot to usb.

Thanks

How to Install Windows XP on a Laptop with No CD Drive | Tech Troupe

that may get you started with some ideas of how to work around your problem.

Ok I have a quick question, I received the converter and I added it and the laptop HDD to my IDE ribbon cable, Nevertheless up until now the laptop drive was over riding my main hard drive no matter if I set the main hard drive jumper to CD or MA. Nevertheless there is a jumper I need to set on the Laptops HD to make it a slave.

Nonetheless my question is this. I did format the Laptop HD while it was in Master mode. I booted right up to XP with it installed in my desktop, but when i re-installed the HDD back into the laptop it would not boot up. Was this because I formatted it while it was the Maser HDD?

I also tried to reformat it with my HDD reader through USB and that just resulted in BSOD

Thanks for any help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom