Suggest a cheap replacement

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheDiceman

Space Ninja Pirate
So my 3870 is getting ready to die; the other day I had to reboot a few times before it pumped out any video and this morning it kept trying and failing on startup over and over off a single boot although I eventually got it running. What would be a cheap card of comparable performance I could shove in my rig to keep it going? I do not want to get anything really nice because I plan on building completely fresh with my tax returns next year and just need this rig to last me until then.

Why don't you buy a good GPU so you can use it on your future build? Like a 5850 or 5870? Of course you're PSU must have enough juice to support it.

^ I'm sure that he will do both of those things with his tax return when he gets it. But for now he needs something to hold him over until he has enough money for all that.

Why don't you buy a good GPU so you can use it on your future build? Like a 5850 or 5870? Of course you're PSU must have enough juice to support it.

Because I still want a working GPU in this computer since I am going to keep it up and running as a secondary system after I get the new rig.

The 4650 is a pretty good sized step backwards. The 4670 is still a step back, but not as far ($65). The 4770 would be a step forward ($110), and the 4850 would be a bit better ($120).

Go with whatever your budget will allow.

At that price the 9800 is the best for my buck I have seen thus far. Going to scout for some used ones tonight, a cheap 4830 would be perfect for my immediate needs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom