My complaining thread- Miss having a gaming rig...

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheOtis

Daemon Poster
I've came so close to spending the money on a new rig a couple times, once to the point of checking out my Newegg shopping cart, but I just can't pull the trigger. The last gaming rig I had was in February that I had to sell since money was tight. I bought a PS3 Slim (and I hope this doesn't turn into a console bashing sesh), to tide me over until I can feel good about spending all that money on a new rig, but it's just not working for me. I miss the open-ness of a gaming rig, not tide down to anything but the hardware my funds allow me to have. I have so many games just sitting here, and I don't even want to add up all the money I have in games on Steam. I've had Steam since the day Half Life 2 launched.

Here I am, watching reruns of The Office and I decide to open up Steam on my laptop (I can play CS 1.6, but that's about all), and they have these fantastic holiday deals up, but then I remember, wait a second! I don't have a rig to play them on anymore! Then bam, oh hey! I see an event invitation, ohhhh, but I CAN'T FREAKING JOIN IT!

I'm seriously considering selling the slim, the games, the PS3 bluetooth headset, spending $100-$200 out of pocket, and dropping $600 or so on a gaming rig. Or even selling my new MyTouch 3G, spending $100 on a cheap phone, and putting the rest towards a new computer. Yes my virtual friends, that's how desperate I've become!

It's a passion that just won't go away. It's sucked up my money for years, but it's so worth it.

There's some killer deals going on right now. The Athlon II 620 X4 for $99, 4870's for $150 or less, DDR3 is cheaper than DDR2. $600 could very well do it, mi amigo.

It's funny, the second after I posted that it hit me. See what kind of rig I could build for 500-600. I also saw the WD 640GB black for under $50. I figure I could get around 400 for my PS3,games, and headset.

The hardest part is seeing that $120 price tag for Windows 7, ouchie. Puts a nick in the hardware. I can just use an old chopped up case for now and a DVD drive I have sitting around, even though it's IDE, yuck. I should have like ten fans still. Theirs even a chance I have a P35 mobo sitting around somewhere with a PCI slot that doesn't work, and I might have a power supply that would work, but It may only be a 20-pin.

Hmmm, I think I may have stumbled upon a new project. I may very well have Tech-Forums ghetto-ist build soon.

Oh and Trotter, it looks like you've managed to add some new parts to your rig. The RAM and video card looks like they were added since the last time I was on here.

Yep, and I am in the process of begging my way to an upgrade. :D It started out with a little birthday money that I wanted to use to upgrade with so I posted a thread in BST. Well, I bought the graphics card (it was a steal). Next thing I know the community is helping me out by offering me stuff. It's last gen or so, but it is still more current than my current stuff.

So here we have a man who was the games and internet but no tower, and here I am, the man with the tower and games but no internet! ARGH! I STILL have my am2 rig, STILL can't use it. I pull it down from the closet once a week to burn a dvd, and back up it goes. No room for it in this apartment, just simply too much stuff here. I am moving sat. and have a place for it FINALLY but no internet. I feel for you bro... I have been stuck to my laptop since may (c2d 5200, 2gb, 500gb, x3100(intel)) and not having games just simply takes a huge part out of our lives... I am about ready to sell both my tower and laptop and just get a nice high performance lappy that can handle some of the older games (l4d, hl2, crysis, maybe prototype)

Yep, and I am in the process of begging my way to an upgrade. :D It started out with a little birthday money that I wanted to use to upgrade with so I posted a thread in BST. Well, I bought the graphics card (it was a steal). Next thing I know the community is helping me out by offering me stuff. It's last gen or so, but it is still more current than my current stuff.

That's good to hear man, that rig was hurting for an upgrade for quite sometime. If only winning Powerball was easy ey?

So here we have a man who was the games and internet but no tower, and here I am, the man with the tower and games but no internet! ARGH! I STILL have my am2 rig, STILL can't use it. I pull it down from the closet once a week to burn a dvd, and back up it goes. No room for it in this apartment, just simply too much stuff here. I am moving sat. and have a place for it FINALLY but no internet. I feel for you bro... I have been stuck to my laptop since may (c2d 5200, 2gb, 500gb, x3100(intel)) and not having games just simply takes a huge part out of our lives... I am about ready to sell both my tower and laptop and just get a nice high performance lappy that can handle some of the older games (l4d, hl2, crysis, maybe prototype)

Ouch, no internet! Better start picking up those hours at Best Buy! Oh dude, for like $1000 you can get a nice lappy that'll play those games. HL2 doesn't require anything ha. I just miss playing TF2, Source, and Trackmania. I'm putting my PS3 up on the CL today haha. This place always gets my mind goin.

I trialed it, even used a few at work with it, don't really like it.

Then again, who really liked vista when it first came out?

now think , who really liked XP when it first came out...

now really think, how many people still use windows 98?

nice little evolutionary trail right there ^_^ its bound to happen, but for the meantime, vista is fine for me. When I had installed windows 7 beta on my laptop (from microsoft, signed up to msdn and got a serial and everything) my batterylife was 3 hours before I installed, one week later my batery life was 30min. It ****ed with the firmware of my battery (I assume, I dont think a battery takes a **** just like that)

sucks if u have any Steam games then :p.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom