Help upgrading to Windows XP!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fernando1378

Baseband Member
Well yesterday I tried to upgrade my computer from Windows 98 to Windows XP Home Edition. Everything was running fine, but when it was done installing, it wouldn't really work. As soon as I turned on the computer and opened IE (this didn't only happen with IE, but any other program as well), a window would pop up saying a certain program stopped working unexpectedly. I can't remember the full name of the program, but i remember it was somewhere along the lines of 'system32' or '32dll'. Then it said it the computer was gonna shut down and restart in 1 minute.

Anybody know what could have caused this? I tried the 'repair' option and reinstalled it and everything, but still no go:(

***UPDATE***

I just finished trying to install it again, and this is what happened. As soon as it was finished installing, it restarted itself, then a window pops up saying:

"The Logon User Interface DLL msgina.dll failed to load.
Contact your system administrator to replace the DLL, or restore the original DLL"

It then restarts normally, and after a minute or so, a window pops up saying C:\WINDOWS\System32\lsass.exe stopped working unexpectedly. It said it's status code was-073741819

Under that it said; This shutdown was initiated by NT Authority/System. After that I restarted a few times to see if the problem would go away, but it didn't, so I just uninstalled it. Now when I turn on my computer (back with my windows 98) a pop up says "A required .DLL file, WMICORE.DLL, was not found". It seems the pc works regularly though..Anybody have any clue how I can fix this?

Fernando,

The message you are getting regarding the lsass.exe appears to be related to the lsass virus that attacks unpatched versions of XP. I would suggest downloading the network version of SP2 and burning it to a CD. Do a fresh install of XP (use the XP CD to format the drive) and then install the service pack BEFORE you connect the computer to the internet. You should also install anti-virus programs before connecting to the internet.

If you feel a little adventurous (and you have a CD burner) you might try creating a slipstreamed installation of the XP CD with SP2 already installed. This can be easily done with a program called Autostreamer or you can do a google for a tutorial to do it yourself (a little harder).

Good Luck
-Erin

qt 3.14159 said:
Fernando,

The message you are getting regarding the lsass.exe appears to be related to the lsass virus that attacks unpatched versions of XP. I would suggest downloading the network version of SP2 and burning it to a CD. Do a fresh install of XP (use the XP CD to format the drive) and then install the service pack BEFORE you connect the computer to the internet. You should also install anti-virus programs before connecting to the internet.

If you feel a little adventurous (and you have a CD burner) you might try creating a slipstreamed installation of the XP CD with SP2 already installed. This can be easily done with a program called Autostreamer or you can do a google for a tutorial to do it yourself (a little harder).

Good Luck
-Erin

Thanks for the help, but there's a slight problem. I'm not sure why, but I can't burn CDs on my computer anymore. I've downloaded multiple programs and none seem to work. Also, I have no idea what SP2 is (I don't know much about computers). Someone else suggested that I should do a fresh install as well and reformat. If I do this, will I still have all my current files/programs?

u don't need a fresh install. just do a google for the symantec sasser removal tool and search for the microsoft patch to prevent this infection in the future.

SP2 means service pack2. It's a big update for windows wich contains lots of patches etc

TheMajor said:
u don't need a fresh install. just do a google for the symantec sasser removal tool and search for the microsoft patch to prevent this infection in the future.

SP2 means service pack2. It's a big update for windows wich contains lots of patches etc

No, you don't need to do a fresh install, but it is the best way to prevent problems in the future. In all honesty, I actually have upgraded about 25 or so computers from win 2000 to XP without doing a format and reinstallation. I felt that the time saved by running the upgrade justified the irritations of problems that might come in the future.

No, Fernando, if you do a format and reinstall, you won't keep anything that's on the hard drive. That's the problem with doing one. If you have any way to backup the files you need, I would still recommend a fresh install. If you can't or think it's more trouble than it's worth you can do as Major suggested and just use the symantec removal tool and download the correct patch BEFORE you upgrade. And patch BEFORE you connect to the internet. The patch to prevent this worm is KB835732 and should be fairly easy to find on the Windows downloads site.

I just finished downloading the symantec sasser removal tool. I followed the instructions and ran it while I was on safe mode, but when it was finished it said it didn't find the worm in my computer.:(

I was looking through the Windows Update site and couldn't get the SP2. When I click 'search for updates' it only comes up with the ones for Windows 98, so I just downloaded those. Should I try installing XP again now??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom