Looking for help, Building a server based mobo PC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

fakebird

Baseband Member
Hello, i heard it was possible to run a server motherboard that has 2 different processors and run a non server based OS on it, IE XP or a linux flavor that is for non-server use. What im wondering is, what do you guys suggest as the best 2 server sloted motherboard for my needs:

i would like to have atleast a 100GB of RAM cap DDR3 preferably

2 processor slots, AMD or intel based either is fine

and this might be a stretch but psi express x16 2.0 slots to run duel video cards.

Something a 600watt power supply can support.

to get the mobo to support at least duelcore processors, quad-core would be preferd.

If anyone knows of a good mobo for this type of build it would greatly be appreciated.

I am also curious if you think buying another processor that is the same model and GHz as mine or buying 2 new ones that would be a step up. ( i am currently running intel duel-core 2.40GHz)

Last question, Sorry for such a long post, Do you suggest buying what parts i can find that i would want for this build on black friday or just wait a few weeks after X-mas for price wise?

Sorry for my complete lack of spelling and grammar education, and large amount of questions and if this is not possible and i am just dreaming im sorry for the noob post.

Thank you for any help you can provide !

what are you trying to build for what? server, personal, speed? video editing? data processing? gaming graphics w\ not lag?

For the amount you want to spend and for what you want to do, just get a normal PC mobo.

You don't need two cpu's to game, nor would many games if any take advantage of them.

Corsair 1000HX
crossfire 5970's
Dual 30' samsungs
12 GB corsair dominator (24 if you must)
intel SSD's in RAID 0
Seagate 2 TB backup
i7 Extreme
ASUS P6T Deluxe V2

something like that
im sure you will be talked down to something even less expensive..

Absolutely no need for a dual 1366 board for gaming.

Ste's suggestions are nice. I would go i7 920 versus the Extreme (saves $700 unnecessary expense) unless you plan on serious sub zero overclocking in which case pair it with the evga classified board.

What is your budget?

lol, you wanted a server mobo, with two cpus and 100 GB's of ram on only a 1.5k budget.
Thats pretty funny..

Server components are not intended for gaming, games will run better on one i7, on a non server setup.

Newegg.com - ASUS P6T Deluxe V2 LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards $289

Newegg.com - Intel Core i7-920 Bloomfield 2.66GHz 4 x 256KB L2 Cache 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops $289

Newegg.com - OCZ Gold 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Low Voltage Desktop Memory Model OCZ3G1600LV6GK - Desktop Memory $149

$724 leaving you $700 for gpu's you could wait for the 5870 (or two) or 5890 (currently out of stock at the egg and hard to get right now. You could buy gtx295 or gtx285 x2 or 4870 x 2. You could wait for gtx300's to come out. Pick your poison.

Done. will own the server board with sli gts250's everyday of the week and 5 times on Sunday.

Make sure you are running a 64bit OS.

lol, you wanted a server mobo, with two cpus and 100 GB's of ram on only a 1.5k budget.
Thats pretty funny..

Server components are not intended for gaming, games will run better on one i7, on a non server setup.

well i picked out everything i wanted for under 1.5, whats funny about that ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom