AMD X2 4400+ vs AMD FX-60

Status
Not open for further replies.

mack

In Runtime
I am using Asus A8N32 Motherboard with a AMD X2 4400+.. first, performance is fine. But I wouldn't mind a slightly faster CPU. And since 939 is dead.... thanks AMD..

I do NOT WANT TO build a NEW PC. That is coming in about a year or two, and this one will be turned into a Linux machine.

Anyhow, I am looking into AMD FX-60 CPU. I know it's dual core, 2.6GHz.. slightly faster. Would performance really be worth it? They are selling for $150-$250 on Ebay.. I am looking into AMD Opteron 185..

All I really play is L4D1+L4D2, COD4, RE5, etc. Nothing REALLY intense.. but a higher FPS wouldn't hurt, neither. I think my CPU is the bottle neck with my 8800 GT (EVGA).

What can I overclock my X2 4400+ to with stock cooling? Thanks =)

Any money you spend on upgrading the CPU will be a complete waste, any performance increase is likely to be minimal. You're probably best saving the money (especially since for ~$200 you could get new mobo+cpu+ram which will give you much more for your money).
I realise you said you don't want to build a new PC, but it really is your best option.

Any money you spend on upgrading the CPU will be a complete waste, any performance increase is likely to be minimal. You're probably best saving the money (especially since for ~$200 you could get new mobo+cpu+ram which will give you much more for your money).
I realise you said you don't want to build a new PC, but it really is your best option.

This is basically what I am at now. I may just be better overclocking and living with what I have. I can't really upgrade my GPU because my CPU will be the bottleneck..

This PC has been the BEST computer I have EVER had.. never crashed.. motherboard/cpu/ram has never had a issue, only issue I had was my harddrive failing....

In the end, I am very happy with it and want to continue it's wonderful life by installing Linux. For my job and because I want to start programming on Linux.. I need to get a dedicated Linux machine... no dual boot crap.

Agreed, you may as well leave it. Also phasing out/replacing sockets is completely normal, it's not just 939 and it's not just AMD.

A month after I upgraded my PC and finally built it, AMD decided to drop 939, lol :p

My next one will probably be AMD/ATI combo. I had bad luck with ATI (x800 worse ever)... So I'm going to give it another try.

Your rig is still decent, mate. I am running a 4200 x2, 4GB, and a GTX 260. The GTX 260 may be bottlenecked, but I can't tell it. Oh, and I am running stock speeds.

Buying a FX-60 or an Opty 185 would only be a good bet if you got them very cheap, as in $40-$60... which ain't happening. If you have a hand for overclocking, crank up your 4200 and squeeze a bit more out of it.

Upgrading your 8800GT would be a good idea, even if your CPU does throttle your upgrade. You could always carry the card over to your new build, or sell it (or the 8800GT).

The biggest advantage of the FX-60 would be the unlocked multiplier.
But really, it probably isn't worth keeping socket 939.
For about $250 you could get a socket AM2+ board, X2 550 and 4GB DDR2 RAM

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom