Christmas comp, need some advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cellshock

Beta member
So far what I got in mind is this

Case
Newegg.com - Antec Twelve Hundred Black Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case - Computer Cases

CPU
Newegg.com - Intel Core i7-920 Bloomfield 2.66GHz 4 x 256KB L2 Cache 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops

Memory
OCZ PC15000 1866MHz 6GB DDR3 CL9 Edition Platinum Series Low-Voltage Triple Channel Memory Kit - 3x2048MB at TigerDirect.com

HD
Newegg.com - Western Digital Caviar Blue WD5000AAKS 500GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

PSU
Kingwin Mach 1 Modular Power Supply - 1220-Watt, ATX, SLI-Ready, Six 12V Rails at TigerDirect.com

Heatsink
Newegg.com - COOLER MASTER Intel Core i7 compatible V8 RR-UV8-XBU1-GP 120mm Rifle CPU Cooler - CPU Fans & Heatsinks

Now for my problem, I can't decide on a mobo or video card. I'm building this comp for high end gaming.

for the mobo I was looking at either the EVGA x58 or ASUS P6T or one around the price range of these. Sadly I don't know enough about either of them. All the research I've done shows me good and bad experiences with both...

As for the video card, I originally was thinking about 2x GTX 260's but that's kinda pushing my total price range. If that setup is worth it I'll do it or would it be better to get like a single gtx275 then grab a second when the price lowers? Or any other options anyone can conjure up. Looking from anywhere up to around $380 for the video card.

Any help is very much appreciated.

Rgarding the GPU I would buy a HD5850. It's allways better to buy a single card and then upgrade with a second one. If you buy two GPUs it will limit your future upgrades.
Rgarding the PSU I think you should buy a Corsair or Antec, and I don't think you need a 1220W PSU. I think you'll be fine with a 850W PSU.
I would buy the Asus one but that's my personal preference. Maybe someone else can give you na opinion on that.
The rest seems fine to me.

Rgarding the GPU I would buy a HD5850. It's allways better to buy a single card and then upgrade with a second one. If you buy two GPUs it will limit your future upgrades.
Rgarding the PSU I think you should buy a Corsair or Antec, and I don't think you need a 1220W PSU. I think you'll be fine with a 850W PSU.
I would buy the Asus one but that's my personal preference. Maybe someone else can give you na opinion on that.

hmm the 5850 might be the one to fix my problem in deciding, haven't used ati for awhile. Also I do plan to either do Sli or Xfire with whatever video card I get later down the road so in regards to the motherboard I'm looking for one that has good performance and reliability but also has the real-estate for two gpu's.

I second all of that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom