Budget Build, Should I buy this monitor?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gibtuck

Solid State Member
Hi-

I've been lurking these forums for a while, first time actually posting. I have been skimming the budget builds for gaming PCs, and with Black Friday coming up I'm hoping to get a mid-range, highly upgradeable PC for the ~$300-400 range. Actually, I was thinking of building the computer that was suggested in Gumbi's post a few threads down. I still need a monitor however, as I am running currently on an Acer 5570z laptop. Its a heap.

My question boils down to this: for games, will a 17' Monitor with 8ms rf/rate and I believe a 1280 by 1064 native resolution work alright? I currently run WoW on my laptop at 1280x800 with all settings turned off (~18-20 fps), Heroes of Newerth exactly the same way as well. I'd like, with this new build, to be able to play with most of the settings turned up (some are unnecessarily taxing, like ground foliage density) at 40-60+ fps.

The monitor is off craigslist, the ad is here:

LCD monitor

Should I scoop this up?

Also, if anyone has any advice on a build that is going to allow me to upgrade it in the years to come, but still give me the juice I need now, I'm absolutely all ears. I am completely new to this, never built before. I've been keeping my eye on Tiger and Newegg though, they seem to be on the Black Friday bandwagon :)

Monitor doesn't have a stand... i'm sure you can find better off of craigslist...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom