Accessing Windows XP locked User Pwd using a different Partition

Status
Not open for further replies.

sowji

Beta member
Hi,

I'm a newbie here, and not sure where to enter my query so came here (hope I'm at the right board).

I'll try to list out my problem specifically. My laptop (HP) works with a Windows XP Home OS and recently there's some hardware problem with my screen. I'm thinking there's some loose wire-contact or maybe the panel is slipping a little out of its place, so the display's all crazy hence forcing me to shift to a temp desktop for a couple of months.

After that, I return to my lappy to find that I forgot my account's pwd. I was in a hurry trying to join in a new job and did not have the time and patience then to look for a solution (now I happened to find out that I could login using the "administrator" account), so in a bid for freedom from troubles I just tried to format and re-install the whole OS ready for all the loss of data. But it seems like, that hurry-burry installation had actually resulted in the OS creating a 1gig partition on the harddrive (creating an extra E: drive) and installing itself there.

Now that I know that my data is still preserved but locked away under my previous account, is there any way i can retrieve it from the old OS's C: drive? I promise I'll be a good girl this time and not set any strong un-rememberable pwds or not backing up properly (and for keeping that promise, I've recently bought an external hard drive too)
:sick:
Help me please.

try going in in safe mode as administrator. most people foget to setup an admin password during windows install. if that does not work try creating a domain where you are the admin & just take ownership of the folder & subfolders.

good luck

sry hefemeister didnt see your link

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom