what mobo/video card to get?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigshot514

Solid State Member
hey. i broke my am2 4200+ cpu a few days ago (broke/bent some pins) and i was thinking of just buying a new am2 cpu but now im thinking of buying a new mobo/cpu/ram because i have to buy new ram and a new cpu is about 80$, so i might as well upgrade. i been out of the computer technology scene for a few years so i dont know what to get, the last time i checked the best mobo was like the 680i...

1) what motherboard should i get? ( i want a quad core amd or intel, not the i7 or i5 cause im not really a heavy gamer.)

2) what video card should i get? ( i was thinking of the 5770 because its short and my case is small so getting a 260 gtx is not a option. i need a video card somewhere around the 5770 dimensions)

thanks for the help!

Whats your budget?
If you aren't looking for any super performance chips, the AMD Phenom II x3 720 is great bang for your buck (its a tri-core). It sells for about $100 and is very easy to overclock. You should with next to no effort(change one setting in the bios), and on stock cooling be able to get it to 3.0-3.2 ghz no problem. but first things first... How much do you plan on spending for this upgrade and we can go from there.

I'm probably looking to spend around 350-400$ for the CPU and motherboard. I was wondering if a am2+ CPU compatible with a am2 motherboard? What are the chances of me frying my motherboard when I took out the CPU? I totaly forgot about static electricity and didn't take any percautions. Can i still check if the mobo still works without a CPU?

eh, i doubt you fried the mobo or cpu from static, unless youve been excessively rubbing your feet on a carpet.

I was wondering if a am2+ CPU compatible with a am2 motherboard?

that depends on the mobo. youd have to look it up on the vendors site and check which cpus will work and whether youll need a bios update for support.

is 350-400 your budget for just the cpu and mobo or for everything you said you wanted to upgrade (mobo/cpu/ram/gpu)?

i know you said you didnt want an i5, but it is a fast cpu and is well within your budget including a mobo.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.290314

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom