New to building

Status
Not open for further replies.

vaniTi

Beta member
Hey, decided to finally build a nice comp for gaming. I went through, first deciding on a processor, which took awhile because so many people went back and forth on them, finally decided on Intel Core 2 Duo 8400. I assume that's a good choice, I welcome any and all feedback, and any suggestions on where to go further, it's a pain to look when you don't really know what you're looking for :D But yeah, please help!

Lets start with the main thing... Budget? Also, are you just building the tower or do you need a monitor, mouse, keyboard? I'm headed to sleep but there will be plenty of people on to help out man! The main thing is the budget :)

Ah, just the tower, my bad, new to this :)
Budget? Looking for around $1,000, but if I can build a pretty awesome computer for less than that, don't pass it up :D

I agree for going i5, but i'm not too keen on that combo; That raidmax PSU maybe good, but why risk it with much better brands out there for PSUs. For video cards i recommend going 4890. If you consider going AMD phenom, that would be a good choice too.

With that budget I'd go I5 and here is a good combo for 587.99 Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, Digital Cameras and more! and add a video card of choice and your good to go and MUCH better than the 8400

Dauntae

Ah yes that does look nice. Looking at the reviews, it does seem like some people have some problems with some of the items, but I guess everyone can have a problem with anything :D I could use this as a base and just go off from there as well, thanks for the input. And yeah, I will go with the i5 after all.

my suggestion; totals $902.

Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, Digital Cameras and more!
Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, Digital Cameras and more!
Newegg.com - CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply - Power Supplies
Newegg.com - Western Digital Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

i would go with these over that combo. it too has the i5, but ive included a better mobo, better ram, and a better power supply. physically, both the mobo in the combo and the one i listed support crossfire (should you want dual gfx cards, for future expansion) but the one in the combo would only run that 2nd card at x4, causing a noticable bottleneck. the ram ive listed works at the same speed (1600mhz), but has better timings, and i would choose the corsair 750w over the raidmax anyday.

now, this would still leave yuo with $100. i dont think you mentioned whether you also needed an OS or not but if you do, you can pick up w7 home premium with that money left over.
Newegg.com - Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 1-Pack for System Builders - Operating Systems

my suggestion; totals $902.

Newegg.com - CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply - Power Supplies
Newegg.com - Western Digital Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

i would go with these over that combo. it too has the i5, but ive included a better mobo, better ram, and a better power supply. physically, both the mobo in the combo and the one i listed support crossfire (should you want dual gfx cards, for future expansion) but the one in the combo would only run that 2nd card at x4, causing a noticable bottleneck. the ram ive listed works at the same speed (1600mhz), but has better timings, and i would choose the corsair 750w over the raidmax anyday.

now, this would still leave yuo with $100. i dont think you mentioned whether you also needed an OS or not but if you do, you can pick up w7 home premium with that money left over.
Newegg.com - Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 1-Pack for System Builders - Operating Systems

I thank you for you response! It's kind of funny, a couple of those items I had already decided on getting :cool: And yes, I was planning on getting Windows 7 Home Premium.

Just one last comparison I need some say in from other people, not just reviews. I was looking at both this motherboard
Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GA-P55-UD4P LGA 1156 Intel P55 ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards
this one
Asus P7P55D Pro Motherboard - Intel P55, Socket LGA1156, Core i5 at TigerDirect.com
and this one
MSI P55-GD65 Motherboard - Intel P55, Socket LGA1156, Core i5 at TigerDirect.com

I was mainly looking at them because the two TD ones are Intel i5 bundles, and I'm afraid I'm still new to it all in general, hoping to pick up a bit of knowledge during my stay here =D Any input on which would be the best for me?

hm, i could be missing it but in both the TD links of those mobos, im not finding a bundle. maybe it was only temporary like a sale or something?

the first one you listed (the gigabyte) is actually the same one thats in the mobo+ram combo ive listed above.
out of the ones you listed, im partial to the gigabyte and asus mobos, ive never really liked msi. but i mean, with the mobo/ram combo i already listed, youd be saving $30 off the gb mobo with some great ram.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom