manually park sata or IDE HDD's

Status
Not open for further replies.

_Underscore

Solid State Member
is there a way to manually dismount a local Hard drive? like i think DOS had parkdisk or something. what i want to do is forcoe a HDD dismount of lets say an "F:" drive that is connected by a SATA cable or IDE Cable. i have tried "popd F:" but i dont think the heads were parked.

any ideas ?

A hard drive has a safety feature in it to automatically park the heads immediatly if power is pulled, you just have to inform the OS that the drive is to no longer be accessed when pulling it... This is for all recent hard drives, only ones I know of that had to be parked manually are them old ones that had a stator motor, i think it's a stator? Can't really remember, it's the same type of system floppie drives use... lol

that might be the case but if i just remove power from a SATA or IDE HDD & then connect it to a linux box i get the old dirty dismount and says to connect it back to a windows system & run chkdsk. i know i can use "sudo mount -t ntfs-3g /dev/sdc1 /mnt/external -o force" but i would like to avoid that by dismounting it thru windows first without shutting the windows system down

thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom