Graphics Performance List

I was reading a interesting thread on Anandtech where someone estimated the cost of a GF100 die based on it's size, the number of dies that could fit on a wafer, the cost per wafer, and TSMC's current yields. He estimated that you would get ~90 functional Cypress or ~38 functional GF100 dies per wafer with Cypress costing $78 per die and Fermi costing $184 per die.

When you factor in the profit margins ATI and Nvidia would like to make per chip Cypress would sell for $170 while Fermi would cost $370. This is just for the gpu and doesn't include the cost of any of the other components on the card or the OEM and Retailers profit margins.

Here is the source

AnandTech Forums - View Single Post - Fermi possibly delayed til March or April

o noes!
I hope the nVidia accounts team thought of this before they started making and advertising these cards, and not just a random forum member...:)

They'll still get sales from die hard nVidia fans and people who want the absolute best system possible. However I'm finding it hard to imagine any kind of substantial profit margin for nVidia from these cards unless they pull something amazing out of their bottoms. Llike another company to match TSMC

They'll still get sales from die hard nVidia fans and people who want the absolute best system possible. However I'm finding it hard to imagine any kind of substantial profit margin for nVidia from these cards unless they pull something amazing out of their bottoms. Llike another company to match TSMC
Someone like GlobalFoundries saving Nvidia... that would be ironic.

Someone like GlobalFoundries saving Nvidia... that would be ironic.

It will be a cold day in **** before they make chips for Nvidia. I bet Global Foundries is ATI's ace in the sleeve for the next gen. Their SOI process is only matched by Intel and IBM, both of which do not have hired gun fabs. Global Foundries far and away has the best process tech available to 3rd parties. They already have 45nm going well and their 45nm process is superior to TSMC's 40nm. I foresee a quick move to them and ATI chips to be making much less heat and sucking much less power.

The only company that can top TSMC* is Global Foundries and Nvidias CEO has publicly stated that they won't be switching to them. On the other hand I wouldn't be surprised if ATI makes the jump to GF at the first available opportunity since AMD own 1/3 of Global Foundries.

* Intel also has superior fabs to both TSMC and Global Foundries however I didn't include them becase there is no chance that they would make chips for nvidia.

It might not necessarily be such a bad idea to wait for GF100. It could lower the prices of 5000 series cards.
At the moment they don't really have much competition.

yes, i dont know why every body is jumping on the bandwagon now. even if you are a diehard ATI guy, with the release of GF100 it can only lower prices on ATI's cards. it's a win win situation. even if GF 100 is bust.

yes, i dont know why every body is jumping on the bandwagon now. even if you are a diehard ATI guy, the with the release of GF100 it can only lower prices on ATI's cards. it's a win win situation. even if GF 100 is bust.

i wouldn't call it a banwagon. It just so happens that ATI is the only guy with a good high end line going into the holiday season. You can tell people to wait, but most will get what they can now.

Back
Top Bottom