What's considered good money for a job the USA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Harper

"I FEEL SO GOOD I FEEL SO NUMB, YEAH!!!"
As some people might now, I am looking for another job elsewhere.
I have listed my resume and details up with various Australian Job Hunting website.

This morning, i was contacted by some one asking whether or not I am interested in working in the USA.
Been giving this a lot of thought lately.
Firstly I got family over there around chicago and tampa bay
Secondly, I don't have that much happening (professionally/personally) over here in australia.

My question is this. What's the cost of living over there? I have been told that things are cheaper over there.
And what is considered good money for a computer technician / computer consultant?

Currently i am a little surprised that I am getting a request for my skill set for work in the USA. Frankly the money better be good for me to pack up my life in Australia.

Tampa's weather is warmer year round and hardly ever freezes. Chicago's weather is 5-7 months of ice. It depends exactly where you are considering living as far as living expenses. In Northern VA. around DC your looking at $1200-1800 for a decent apartment. House taxes very from state to state. Here in Il. they put everything on the house. Luckily I don't live one mile west of where I do or we'd be paying twice what we are in house taxes alone. A nice home around my area is bringing 50-100k, but one of my carpentry clients just bought a liveable house for 16k! Times are tough. Florida has no state income tax coming out of your check. In Va. the house taxes aren't as high, but your paying taxes on everything - cars, boats, etc. In Va. Beach area the car taxes aren't bad, roughly $30-100 depending on the value. Not including personal property tax count on losing 30% of your check to our incompetent government, and who knows whats going to happen with this health care reform. They've wasted Obama's entire term as of date argueing over 2000 pages of idiocy.

Lots of things to consider:
1. where woudl you be located, every city in america has a different cost associated with normal living expenses. milk in Kansas city will cost different then in new york. Same with gas and other 'every day' living things. There are websites designed to track the average living costs of each city. Some cities are cheap to live in, and you could purchase a 4 bedroom 2500 sqr feet home for 200,000 USD, but the exact same house in another part of the country could cost you 400,000.
Something like a cost of living calculator:Cost of Living Comparison

2. you should focus more on what you would be doing in the new job. Obviously a help desk technician will make way less in the USA compared to a network consultant.

So the best way IMO would be to see what they are offering (money), take the job tasks and the city into consideration and compare that to what you currently do and where you currently live.

FYI chicago is pretty expensive to live in.

I agree with everyone else. The USA is HUGE, you must remember that. Some places in the south are practically third world in terms of living quality and cost, however parts of California have the highest cost of living in the world. I live in Chicago, and yes the cost to live here is enormous in comparison to most of the country.

If it were me, I wouldn't even dream of leaving my home country for less than six figures or equivalent some where else. Even then, it would have to be high six figures.

To live comfortably in the USA, I agree with the other poster that you are looking at needing around $60,000 average (like I said this can be far too little or quite a lot depending on where you are).

I think you are getting offerd it mate is the fact you are a native english speaker, up untill recently I paid attention to the recruiting habits of the valley it gives you a idea what is going on after all and lots of job's specified must be a native english speaker as primary language. In the US and the UK people are getting fed up of having to deal with non literate tech support especially the business customers infact one of my main selling points was all after hours support was carried out over the phone by myself or one of my staff who all spoke english as there first language.

Chicago isn't exactly a cheap town; I don't know about Tampa. Florida is best avoided at all costs imo though. If somebody were willing to pay 50-60k I think you could do pretty well.

If you want to try and make some mock budgets, first step is to see how much an apartment would cost. In the Chicago area, I think you;d be looking at around $800/mo for a nice one bedroom if I'm not mistaken. Figure in a sales tax that over 8%, toll roads, etc. and I don't know what the payroll taxes are.

Chicago isn't exactly a cheap town; I don't know about Tampa. Florida is best avoided at all costs imo though. If somebody were willing to pay 50-60k I think you could do pretty well.

Chicago and Tampa I have family over there. I can at least stay there until i get set up

Anyways, I am waiting for these people get back to me. Seriously, I am not really interested in making the move unless it
$60k per year
Permament Position (or at least a 3 year contract.)

Otherwise, it is not worth for me.

Okay... How are they going to get you a green card? As a comp tech, i can't honestly see you getting a work visa. There must be 1000's out of work techies.

I think you just got a head hunter type of i want your resume type thing.

Be VERY careful with the info yo give out.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom