1 in 3 laptops die in first three years

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hefemeister

Lord Techie,
I fount this rather interesting especially since my lappy is almost 8 years old.

An analysis of 30,000 new laptops from SquareTrade, which provides aftermarket warranty coverage for electronics products, has found that in the first three years of ownership, nearly a third of laptops (31 percent) will fail.

The good:
The most reliable companies? A shocker: Toshiba and Asus, both with below a 16 percent failure rate due to hardware malfunction.

The bad:
The least reliable brands? Acer, Gateway, and HP.

The Ugly:
HP's hardware malfunction rate, the worst in SquareTrade's analysis, is a whopping 25.6 percent.

http://tech.yahoo.com/blogs/null/154921

I can believe those figures.

One of the reasons why I will not get a laptop for myself with out a 2 year warranty.

I believe it.

My first laptop in 2000 was a compaq and it faled about three times in the first year (luckily under warranty). HD, motherboard then i believe another HD. But after those three issues which all were covered, i haven't had a problem since. I gifted the laptop to an old friend who needed a computer and it still runs like a champ today.

Second laptop was an HP (i know same company) and it has lasted 4 years without issue.

Oh man, I went with an HP over an ASUS due a very very minimal gpu performance increase because it was the same amount of money. Now I regret it. I've had no problems, but I've only had it not even 2.5 months, and it doesn't get extensive use :angry:

My HP got burned out due to overheating from a clogged heatsink and a fan that has stopped working due to accumulated dust. My brother used it extensively during that time, and I was away. Even if I told him not to...****...

Every three months or so, I see a Pavilion v2000 coming into my shop. All the same faults. Over heating and dead motherboard.

A friend told me that the HP problems were mostly due a design flaw in the dv2000 motherboard. The other series doesnt seem to have a problem, as any HP other than dv2000s are yet to be brought in in his shop. Does anyone know if the designs have been fixed with the new HP models? They're sporting new looks and new series numbers.

doesn't surprise me that Toshiba lasted long. I had an HP and the biggest issue I had with it was the DC power port. The only way you could charge the thing is if it was on a flat surface, if you tried to use it anywhere else it would damage the port.

I wonder what the average span of Apple laptops are. Probably at least 3 years.

null-433611030-1258568892.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom