New to Building Computers, I need Help/Feedback. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

HiddenMessage

Solid State Member
Hi,

I am trying to build my first custom GAMING computer. I will be building it myself and I have almost no knowledge of constructing a decent computer. Please let me know if this computer have any incompatibilities, or if it is missing something. The links of the parts are all from NEWEGG.com. Thanks!
CASE:
Newegg.com - COOLER MASTER HAF 932 RC-932-KKN1-GP Black Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case - Computer Cases

CPU:
Newegg.com - Intel Core i7-920 Bloomfield 2.66GHz 4 x 256KB L2 Cache 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops

MOTHERBOARD:
Newegg.com - ASUS P6T Deluxe V2 LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards

VIDEO CARD:
Newegg.com - EVGA 896-P3-1171-AR GeForce GTX 275 Superclocked Edition 896MB 448-bit DDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards

RAM:
Newegg.com - CORSAIR XMS3 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Triple Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model TR3X6G1600C9 - Desktop Memory

HARD DRIVE:
Newegg.com - Western Digital VelociRaptor WD3000HLFS 300GB 10000 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

POWER SUPPLY:
Newegg.com - CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply - Power Supplies

DVD DRIVE:
Newegg.com - PLEXTOR Black 24X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 12X DVD+R DL 24X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 12X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache SATA 24X DVD/CD Writer LightScribe Support - CD / DVD Burners

THERMAL COMPOUND:
Newegg.com - Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound - Thermal Compound / Grease

HEATSINK:
Newegg.com - ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 7 Pro Rev.2 92mm Fluid Dynamic CPU Cooler - CPU Fans & Heatsinks

Dont spend the extra money for a superclocked card. The performance isnt worth the extra money you pay. And overclocking a graphics card is extremely ez to do yourself.
Get this card instead Newegg.com - EVGA 896-P3-1170-AR GeForce GTX 275 896MB 448-bit DDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards
Depending on your budget though you may want to consider getting an ati 5850 card.

Id also recommend against getting a velociraptor harddrive, any standard 7200 rpm should be good enough.
Or if you really want one, get a smaller size, just for the OS and apps, and get another drive for storage.

Thanks for the advice! Also, how does this thing call SLi work? Do I need 2 of the same exact Graphic Card to do SLi? My budget is about 1500 on black friday for the computer block itself.

I agree with Bkolk about the HD and video card.

SLI (Scalable Link Interface) is when you have two Nvidia (Crossfire for ATI) video cards. You can use two different ones (of the same number..eg. 275 superclocked, 275 regular) but it will clock it down to the slowest of the two. So it is best to have two of the exact same.

Edit: Forgot to mention that you can have more than two cards.

I have always been told to make Intel/Nvidia computers but can I use a intel processor/motherboard and ATI grapic cards as well?

Get this heatsink instead of the Arctic Cooling Freezer 7. And it comes with Tuniq TX2 Thermal paste, which is better than Arctic Silver 5. You'll also need to order a LGA 1366 Retention Bracket which I have linked for you. Plus these item's come with $20 worth of rebates so they'll end up costing $21 plus shipping.

Newegg.com - Sunbeam CR-CCTF92-4 92mm Core-Contact Freezer CPU Cooler W/TX-2 - CPU Fans & Heatsinks

Newegg.com - Sunbeam CR-LGA1366 LGA 1366 Core I7 Socket Retention Bracket Set - CPU Fans & Heatsinks

And buy this Memory instead of the Corsair. It's cheaper and has faster timings.

Newegg.com - OCZ Gold 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Low Voltage Desktop Memory Model OCZ3G1600LV6GK - Desktop Memory

For SLI you need 2 of the same "types" of Video Card. They can be from different manufacturers and they can have different clock speeds but they "have" to have the same GPU. If the cards have different speeds then SLI will run both cards at the slower speed of the two.

I wouldn't buy a VelociRapter. Buy a SSD for your OS and main applications and then buy a slower larger drive for your data files.

Thanks for all the great and money saving advices guys! Would this current set up (With Bkolk and Slaymate's reconmended parts swaped over mine) be able to handle a game like Crysis(using this as a guideline for future games) at the highest posible quality? If not, what parts should I swap?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom