Ok, final shopping list for your approval.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Demented Avenger

Baseband Member
Optical
Newegg.com - LITE-ON Black 24X DVD+R 24X DVD-R SATA Black 24X DVD Writer LightScribe Support - CD / DVD Burners
Case
Newegg.com - Antec Three Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Computer Cases
Hard Drive
Newegg.com - Western Digital Caviar Green WD15EADS 1.5TB 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
Video
Newegg.com - ASUS EAH5770/2DIS/1GD5/V2 Radeon HD 5770 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards
PSU
Newegg.com - CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply - Power Supplies
RAM
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145236
Heatsink
Newegg.com - COOLER MASTER Intel Core i7 compatible V8 RR-UV8-XBU1-GP 120mm Rifle CPU Cooler - CPU Fans & Heatsinks
MOBO Proc combo
Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, Digital Cameras and more!
Thermal compound
Newegg.com - Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound - Thermal Compound / Grease
Operating System
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832116754

Total cost is $1,293.85 + $24.00 shipping

Now, a few questions:
1 - Any odds and ends I should add to this build?
2 - Should I add a smaller, faster operating system/program drive?
3 - Will the stock I7 Heatsink be fine?

This build is smack dab in the middle of my budget I can add maybe $150 to it if it is deemed necessary.

Thank you in advance,
KB

2 - Should I add a smaller, faster operating system/program drive?

I'd add a smaller drive for OS + apps. Doesnt have to be velociraptor or ssd. I think a 80gb or 160gb 7200rpm would be fine. The reason id recommend this is with such a large harddrive, i assume you'll be filling it up, and if you ever build another computer, or want a new OS, or reformat, you wont have to transfer 1TB+ of data off it then back on it.

I'm assuming it's a gaming rig ya?

That memory will work on that mobo, however it doesn't support triple channel memory. I've been out of the loop for awhile, but I'm pretty sure it'll just run in single channel. How that effects real world performance, I'm not sure, hopefully someone else can chime in.

I'd get this RAM-

Newegg.com - OCZ Platinum 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model OCZ3P16004GK - Desktop Memory
-That way you can run dual channel or run two sets and have 8GB if you want.

I'm assuming it's a gaming rig ya?

That memory will work on that mobo, however it doesn't support triple channel memory. I've been out of the loop for awhile, but I'm pretty sure it'll just run in single channel. How that effects real world performance, I'm not sure, hopefully someone else can chime in.

I'd get this RAM-

Newegg.com - OCZ Platinum 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model OCZ3P16004GK - Desktop Memory
-That way you can run dual channel or run two sets and have 8GB if you want.

For some reason I cannot DL or open the Ram OCV from the Asus website. Could someone please recommend some more RAM options for me? I am on a work computer right now running IE6 with no admin rights.

The i7 860 uses the socket 1156 which uses dual channel not triple channel. So you'll have to buy memory sticks in the amount of multiple of two, like 2x2GB or 4x2GB, etc.
Regarding the heat sink, they say it's compatible with i7 but they don't mention i5, so it probably supports the 1336 socket and not the 1156 socket that the processor you've chosen uses. You should check this before ordering the components.
The rest of the build seems fine to me.

How much of a price difference would it be to get a socket 1366 mobo + cpu? I'd imagine it'd be pretty close. I recommend you do that and then you can keep that same ram you have now.

I agree as well. I was started thinking the same thing after I posted. I will use this mobo/ proc / ram config and add a OS/program drive. Should I upgrade the stock fans in the 300 case or will they be quiet enough? I may end up using this machine to replace my aging but whisper silent ADK Rackmount(Advance Design Kentucky) machine. I may just rebuild that one after the sting in my wallet goes away from this build.

Maybe some new information has came out about Intels sockets over the past few months I haven't read about, but why stick yourself with socket 1366 when it's suppose to be the high end/work socket? Sure it'll get the 6-core i9's, but would you really want to set your upgrade path to $400+ CPU's? Note that I'm only assuming they'll all be expensive processors for 1366, given the 1156 being the gaming/mid range socket.

Also, if you're concern is using one hard drive for all your data (OS, games, media, etc), have you thought about partitioning a larger hard drive? That way you can set up a partition (Or multiple) and separate your OS from the rest of you data. That way, if for whatever reason you want to do a fresh install, your media won't need to be deleted or transfered anyway. The way I look at it is, unless you're looking to run a RAID set up for specific applications or wanting to back up your data, take the minimalist approach. The more hard drives, the higher risk of losing date.

Just my 2 cents and another POV.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom