Need advice on Buying a new Computer and Monitor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You hardly will ever use all 12gb of ram for you intended use. I couldn't find 6vs12 but here's a link for Core i7: 3GB vs 6GB Memory Benched. The thing with 3 vs 6 is I feel there will be a greater improvement there than 6 vs 12. At some point in time a bottleneck might occur trying to move that many bits to the 12gigs of ram vs. installing better video cards to offload the work from the cpu. My experience is next time I build a system I'll save back money instead of going all out, because every 2-3 yrs. Technology nearly doubles. SSD drives are faster and MuffinMan has a point there. I'm not sure about the reliability of SSD's. If your like a friend of mine, the clarity of sound is very important and he's put together both system and speakers to accomplish the best sound. But if your like me you'll waste $140 on a sound card for my $10 speakers. And your MB already has a good sound card. What muffinman meant by "considerable amount" - you'd save $430 just by downgrading the cpu to this

What muffinman meant by "considerable amount" - you'd save $430 just by downgrading the cpu to this

it wouldnt matter if you were going to buy it prebuilt or build it yourself, the i7 975 isnt worth its cost over just an i7 920, which would be plenty fast. plus it would reduce cost by a considerable amount.

i said an i7 920 not the 950. if you were gonna buy these parts seperately, going with just an i7 920 over the 975 would save you roughly $700 (depending on where you buy). basicly what james^ had mentioned.

i7 975 ($1,000) Newegg.com - Intel Core i7-975 Extreme Edition Bloomfield 3.33GHz 4 x 256KB L2 Cache 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops

i7 920 ($289) Newegg.com - Intel Core i7-920 Bloomfield 2.66GHz 4 x 256KB L2 Cache 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops

One question, If I did go with the Dell XPS 9000, would there be any problems in the future because the 12gb is at 1066 and the processor is i7 975? Also so far that is the best that Dell offers right now and I might have to ask this question again next year because I decided that I wont be building or Buying a new PC until next year and the technology can improve dramatically and if not it will still improve. So far Im leaning towards building a PC since It will save me money and I could make it faster then dell has to offer for less money.

You are correct, technology will improve. The best thing at this point is use the time to your advantage - stay in these forums and follow the builds to stay current.

Does anyone know what is required to play Modern Warfare 1 and 2 and WoW wotlk on maxed out settings without lag? Also I dont know if I should get a Wi-Fi card with the computer or just unplug my cable modem and move it to the new PC and buy a wi-fi card for my old computer, or does it even matter?

Card Trick, let this thread "die" as you started this under building and you're newest question should be reposted in the gaming area. You'll get better response too. There are differences between router speeds and wireless connections.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom