First build need some advice please

Status
Not open for further replies.

PakAndy

Beta member
Hi, Im new to this forum and this is my first post, so first of all a big hello to everybody!

I have decided to take the plunge and build my own PC for the first time and Im a noob when it comes to hardware. The rig will be used for besides the usual office utilities, internet etc. for video/photo editing and gaming (I don't intend to overclock).

This is the configuration I am thinking of going with, the only thing I can't really decide on is the graphics card. This build is more expensive than initially budgeted but I have some extra cash to spend and my current PC is 7 years old so thought of “treating” myself.

MOBO: ASUS P6T Deluxe. V2
CPU: Intel Core i7 920 2.66GHz
RAM: Corsair TR3X6G1600C8, 3x2GB, DDR3-1600, CL8@1.65V (on the QVL from what I can see)
GPU: ??? see below
HDD 1: Western Digital VelociRaptor 150GB WD1500HLFS, SATA-300, 10000rpm, 4.2ms,16MB
HDD 2:Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB WD1001FALS, SATA-300, 7200rpm,8.9ms, 32MB
Optical Drive: LG GH22LS
Case: Antec Nine Hundred Two
PSU: Corsair CMPSU-750TX 750W ATX12V

Also looking at installing a WiFi adapter, the D-LINK Xtreme N PCI Express Desktop Adapter DWA-556

For the graphics card I was first set on the 4850x2 or 4890, but they are not DirectX 11 compatible (does this matter only for games and would this matter in the next 3-4 years?). Started looking at the 5xxx series. The 5870 looks like a very good card but expensive (could afford it though) and is quite big so might not fit in case. The 5850 and even 5770 also look like good cards and a bit cheaper. Would appreciate any advice.

Initially I wanted to go down the AMD route, with the Phenom II X4 965 BE and the ASUS MA79XTD EVO, but could basically not find RAM that is on the QVL and available from the vendors that deliver to where I live (Switzerland). What problems can I get if if I don't get RAM that is on the QVL?

Any advice and suggestions on video card and rest of build more than welcome, especially whether all components are compatible. Many thanks in advance.

With that high end a system your buying, id round it out with a nice 5850 (cheaper than 5870, but plenty powerful)

As for ram with the phenom II, it should be ddr3 like the one you have selected, just 2 sticks tho, instead of 3. I'd be very surprised any computer site wouldn't carry that, as its standard ram now for many mobo's.

As for video cards, the 5870 is a bit overkill since i gather you're not a hard-core gamer. 5850 is also quite powerful, but you want to be futureproof for a while right? And since you have the $, i recommend the 5850! Its not a big deal to have DX11 or DX10, but why not go for the way of the future! If you feel like you want to save some money, you can go for the 4890 and still have an able card. I'm not sure what prices you're looking at so i'm not able to make an appropriate recommendation since i don't know the price/performance ratio. You can look at the graphics performance list and make your own judgement:

http://www.techist.com/forums/f76/graphics-performance-list-212331/

That i7 build looks really nice. I've actually never heard of the QVL so i don't know what to say about that.. But if you went the AMD route with socket AM3 motherboard, you could use the same type of ram as in your intel build, 2X2gb should do. But, since you have the money, TREAT yourself with an intel i7 ;)

If you want to save some more money, you can cut out that velociraptor as you won't see a significant increase in performance... maybe just slightly faster load times, but it is a good idea to keep OS and programs on a separate HD.

Hi, many thanks for your feedback, in particular where I can save money without necesarrily loosing out on performance. Even If I have some extra cash there are other things than computers you can spend money on ;-)

QVL stands for Qualified Vendor Lists and lists the memorry mobo manufacturers have tested to be compatible with a specific mobo. The QVL for the mobo I was thinking about is here:
http://dlsvr04.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/LGA1366/P6T_Deluxe_V2/QVL-P6T-Deluxe.zip

I have been "strongly" recommended to only get memory that is on the QVL. However if from your experience you can get memory that is generally specified for the mobo, Im happy to do that. Btw what do you think about the difference in performance between the i7 920 and the Phenom II X4 965 BE?

who told you to only get ram thats on the qvl?

there are way too many different kits of ram out there for a vendor to test and list every single one. most ram will work if you just make sure its the correct type. obviously a mobo that only supports ddr2 ram will not work with ddr3 ram. and if youre unsure about a certain part or compatibility issues, just run it by us first.

if you want to save money while still getting high performance though, you could look into an i5 build instead. as far as general performance goes, its i7 > i5 > phenom ii. gaming wise, you will see minimal difference like Hefe said.

any thanks again for all the advice. Feel quite releaved about the hassle with the memory, got it from another forum.

Btw, some HDD go as SATA, SATA II and others as SATA 300, what is the differnce and will all of them plug into and work ok wih the mobo I want (ASUS P6T Deluxe V2)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom