BIOS mishap

Status
Not open for further replies.

maximas

Baseband Member
Okay, so I could not leave well enough alone. Actually I was having a difficult time getting my new printer to work, so I said what the heck, I'll just update my BIOS. My motherboard is a GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P. I used the dang windows BIOS updater and looks like I paid the price. I reset the computer as prompted and I get missing BOOTMGR.

Hoping that I could fix the issue, I entered BIOS set up and tried to update to a previosu BIOS version using Qflash. Notta. Ziltch. This motherboard has dual BIOS, but for whatever reason that did not help.

Hopefully someone can help me with this. Stink!

Thanks in advance!

Okay, so the thing is working now. I used the fail-safe option within BIOS and now everything works. What is up with that? By the way, I did go back to CMOS and changed my settings back were they were before the mishap, and everything still works. I'm at a loss. Anyone?

I'm glad to hear you got it back up and running. I'm not well versed in computers and making changes I use the least "oops" route. For a bios change, imo, the safest way is to back-up my existing bios onto a floppy- then download new onto a different floppy and try to install from there. Many have been successful flashing bios, but I'm a scaredy cat I guess.

I ended up using my USB drive tand Qflash to update the BIOS. I'm still confused as to what happened to that back up BIOS.

the exact same thing happened to me the other day after a BIOS update. Somehow the bios put my second hard drive as first bootable device. After I changed it back to my drive that had windows installed everything was ok.

I think bootmgr is a windows file. am I right?

yea if you're going to update the bios it's best to use the option built into it instead of trying to do it through windows(such as in your case, just use qflash over anything else)

call me old school, but I rather just boot up into some sort of DOS Promt and update the BIOS there. The last thing you want to do is have windows or some other program acting up in the background while you are flashing a BIOS.

call me old school, but I rather just boot up into some sort of DOS Promt and update the BIOS there. The last thing you want to do is have windows or some other program acting up in the background while you are flashing a BIOS.

This is the second time a windows based utility has burned me! While I was able to get everything up and running, it still was way too close for comfort for me! I will not make a third mistake... :) So I'm a slow learner...

strange, i have a gigabyte board and i always use the windows based program to update the bios, always works perfect for me.

and if you get a BOOTMGR error then that is HDD or windows related, and has noting to do with the bios ;)

strange, i have a gigabyte board and i always use the windows based program to update the bios, always works perfect for me.

and if you get a BOOTMGR error then that is HDD or windows related, and has noting to do with the bios ;)

Good call... where were you about 8 hours ago? ;) I just searched BOOTMGR, and you are correct. Now I am more confused than ever as to what happened.

Oy Vey...

Edit: I deleted Unbuntu from from my computer, which was part of a double boot. Could have this caused this problem?

Yes removing Ubuntu can cause havoc if GRUB was the boot loader. What version of Windows are you running to try and get it fixed?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom