My new build.........

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, the is risk is no higher than if you just have one HDD then.

Not quite.

If the probability of an HD failing is 1%; then the probability of one of two HDs failing is 1 + 1 = 2%. The probability of both HDs failing simultaneously is 0.01% (which isn't important here). So yea, there is a higher chance of losing your data: 2% raid 0 vs. 1% for a single drive. I arbitrarily chose 1% since i don't really know what the probability of an HD failing is...

Since this post is turning out to be about hard drive failures, I read a really good study Google did on HDD failures in their servers, but I didn't bookmark it. Has anyone came across this?

To echo what others have said, RAID-0 es no bueno. No one likes losing half of their data over a hard drive failure. If you insist on wanting to strip there are other RAID levels that provide stripping as well as parody. But just a warning, they become elaborate compared to a simple RAID-0. Just google "RAID levels".

For a nice, simple, but a more expensive set-up, I like SSD and one HDD. SSD for OS and software and the HDD for media and/or software if the SSD gets full.

Not quite.

If the probability of an HD failing is 1%; then the probability of one of two HDs failing is 1 + 1 = 2%. The probability of both HDs failing simultaneously is 0.01% (which isn't important here). So yea, there is a higher chance of losing your data: 2% raid 0 vs. 1% for a single drive. I arbitrarily chose 1% since i don't really know what the probability of an HD failing is...

Well that isnt quite right either, like i said i used to know this but forgot.
If we take your theory, than two things with 50% would be 50% + 50% = 100% of happening.
This isnt true, as if you flip a coin, it has 50% of landing tails. If you flip it and it lands heads, the next time you flip it, its not guaranteed to land tails.

Don't you take the fraction multiply it by the other fraction?

So it's really 1/4 chance that your data goes bad?

It's just easier to get a cheap used Raptor or RaptorX Drive as your primary and your secondary to be something else or maybe find a SCSI drive (and the adapter) to use as your primary.

Both really are the same processor with the multiplier jumped up one (which you can do yourself since the 955 has an unlocked multiplier).

Here's the hierarchy of the performance: Core i5 > Phenom II = Core 2 Quad

Then the 955 is better, cause it's cheaper. I didn't know the Phenom II = Core 2 Quad; I thought the Phenoms were between the Core2Quad and i5..........

As for the probability stuff; if I remember from my statistics correctly......... say it's a 5% chance of a HD failing; the probabilty of both HD's failing in raid 0 would be 0.05x0.05= 0.0025; which is 0.25% chance of BOTH failing.......... but this is the probaiblity of BOTH HD's failing.

Well it really depends on which Quad you are comparing to.

Some of the Core 2 Quad's are the same performance as the PII's, some are faster and some are even a good bit slower.

But the i5 is significantly faster for $10 more, but then you'd have to pay for DDR3 and the LGA1156 boards.

Vernong,

If I go AMD route, I'll go

Phenom II 955be - #200
Crosshair 3 forumla- $225
Dominator GT AM3- $240......... that's $665 CAD.

If I go i5; what components can I get that would be $665 +/- $30?

Well that isnt quite right either, like i said i used to know this but forgot.
If we take your theory, than two things with 50% would be 50% + 50% = 100% of happening.
This isnt true, as if you flip a coin, it has 50% of landing tails. If you flip it and it lands heads, the next time you flip it, its not guaranteed to land tails.

Yes you're right. But if you look carefully, you'll see that i said the chances of 1 of 2 hard drives failing would be 1 + 1, i didn't say that BOTH failing would be 1 + 1.

As for the probability stuff; if I remember from my statistics correctly......... say it's a 5% chance of a HD failing; the probabilty of both HD's failing in raid 0 would be 0.05x0.05= 0.0025; which is 0.25% chance of BOTH failing.......... but this is the probaiblity of BOTH HD's failing.

Yea thats what i did :D 0.01 X 0.01 = 0.0001; which is 0.01% for BOTH of them failing

P(x) means probability of x

p(drive1 or drive2) = p(drive1) + p(drive2) - p(drive 1 and 2)
p(drive1 and drive2) = p(drive1) x p(drive2)

given probable chance of failiure is 2%

.02 + .02 - (.02 x .02)
.02 + .02 - .0004
.04 - .0004
3.96% chance that either drive will fail.

to clarify the 50% chance thoughts...
.5 + .5 - (.5 x .5)
.5 + .5 - .25
1.0 - .25
.75 = 75% chance of failure if both have 50% chance each.

Hope i helped :)

P(x) means probability of x

p(drive1 or drive2) = p(drive1) + p(drive2) - p(drive 1 and 2)
p(drive1 and drive2) = p(drive1) x p(drive2)

given probable chance of failiure is 2%

.02 + .02 - (.02 x .02)
.02 + .02 - .0004
.04 - .0004
3.96% chance that either drive will fail.

to clarify the 50% chance thoughts...
.5 + .5 - (.5 x .5)
.5 + .5 - .25
1.0 - .25
.75 = 75% chance of failure if both have 50% chance each.

Hope i helped

Stats 101 all over again, LOL!

I did some research, and found out it's cheaper to get

i5-750, Maximus Formula 3, Dominator GT ddr3 then.......

phenom II 955, Crosshair 3 forumula, dominator GT ddr3.........

Went to newegg.ca......... i just don't know how much they charge for shipping.......... anybody here from canada? and has ordered from newegg.ca??? I'm from vancouver, bc

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom