Budget PC need input.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ok, kind of new to this PC building thing. Thank you. My only thing is why wouldn't the other motherboard be good. it has twice as many RAM slots, and I want to be able to upgrade to a good bit of ram.

Edit:
And why is that processor better, and what about the power supply? Not saying your wrong I'm completely new and just trying to learn/understand. Thanks again for the help

I didn't notice the RAM slots, sorry. Yes, the mobo was good in that combo, but not the case/PSU. Try this one:
ECS IC780M-A AM3/AM2+/AM2 AMD 770 ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail
&
Kingston HyperX 1GB 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Desktop Memory Model KHX6400D2/1G - Retail

$84 w/free shipping on the RAM and $16 MIR on the mobo.

The Athlon II 240 is the latest generation, while the 6000+ is a couple of generations old. The 6000+ may be 3.0GHz, but the 240 gets loads more done on 2.8GHz because of how it is made. think of it as a 4-banger and a V8... at 2500RPMs the V8 is putting out a lot more power than the 4-cylinder is putting out. ;)

Ultra is not known for good power supplies. Rosewill's PSUs are decent if not good. There are much better out there, but on this thin of a budget you have to use what you can. If you can find a good sale on Antec, FSP Group, BFG, OCZ, Corsair, PC Power and Cooling, or SeaSonic (all good brands off the top of my head), go for it. We have a PSU guide posted around here somewhere...

Don't worry about being new and not knowing this stuff. We all started there at one time or another.

THat makes more sense. Ok, but everything else looks good (for what budget i have)?

That combo with the other I posted will be a solid budget gaming build. Your next order of business will be to get another stick of 2GB.

Yeah thats what I was thinking. I've been hearing something like RAM only runs at the speed of the lowest stick, so should I just buy 3 more 2gig sticks of that same speed?

just bought this build, should be coming in soon. My only concern is am I not going to need another gig of ram? I got windows 7 64 bit and it says it needs 2 gigs

i would get another matching stick or three.

If you have the money you might want to spring for a set of 2x2GB as a 64-bit operating system can utilize more than 3.5GB. That would also leave you open to ad an additional 2x2GB some day to max out your RAM for the board.

just bought this build, should be coming in soon. My only concern is am I not going to need another gig of ram? I got windows 7 64 bit and it says it needs 2 gigs

win 7 runs fine on 1GB of ram. my sisters old laptop is running a single core centrino CPU and 1GB of ram and it cruses along just fine.

i also have a old Athalon XP rig with integrated GFX and 512MB of ram, it runs great for what i am doing with it :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom