OC AMD anthlon

Status
Not open for further replies.

blue4paper

In Runtime
I've been trying to find some decent links for my CPU but i'm pretty new to OC and couldn't find anything.

This computer is pretty old, over 5 years, and i thought i'd like to try OC'ing it.

I understand fairly well the whole procedure, but hardware isn't my forte.

Anyways here are my CPU stats (The tabs are in reverse chronological order, sorry about that):

cpustats.jpg

So i was just wondering what steps i would take from here.

Thanks,
blue

Go into your BIOS, and Increase the FSB by 5 until you're unable to boot. Once you find your maximum, use Prime95 to test for stability. If you find that you're stable, leave it there. If you're not, back down the FSB in small increments, until you're stable. Prime95 will need to be ran for a while to test for full stability. You can try running Intel Burn Test, but I had problems running it with an AMD Athlon XP, on several different builds.

A socket A 2100+? Ouch. My wife's computer has a 2000+ so I know your pain.

If it is a pre-built it won't have any FSB options.

You could swap out your 2 x 512MB for a set of 2 x 1GB. The extra RAM would help your system out. here's a decent set:
Newegg.com - G.SKILL Value 2GB (2 x 1GB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200) Desktop Memory Model F1-3200PHU2-2GBNT - Desktop Memory

Yep most prebuilts come with a "locked" BIOS, so that people won't damage them. If it is a prebuilt, what make and model is it? I had an old emachines, that I could change the FSB from 133 to 166 by a jumper on the motherboard.

yes. i *had a old athalon XP mobo that had jumpers for overclocking :D but i killed it by pushing too much voltage through the southbridge and it's dead. so now i put the 2000+ in a crappy HP mobo that does not do overclocking. it's a shame too i had that thing up to around 2.5GHZ.

I'm not exactly sure on the model/brand, but the BIOS is "Phoenix technologies" and here are my mobo details:

Field Value
Motherboard Properties
Motherboard ID 03/09/2005-SiS-741-6A7I8FK9C-00
Motherboard Name Foxconn K7S741MG-6L / K7S741GXMG-6L

Front Side Bus Properties
Bus Type DEC Alpha EV6
Bus Width 64-bit
Real Clock 133 MHz (DDR)
Effective Clock 267 MHz
Bandwidth 2133 MB/s

Memory Bus Properties
Bus Type DDR SDRAM
Bus Width 64-bit
Real Clock 167 MHz (DDR)
Effective Clock 333 MHz
Bandwidth 2666 MB/s

Motherboard Physical Info
CPU Sockets/Slots 1 Socket 462
Expansion Slots 3 PCI, 1 AGP
RAM Slots 2 DDR DIMM
Integrated Devices Audio, Video, LAN
Form Factor Micro ATX
Motherboard Size 220 mm x 240 mm
Motherboard Chipset SiS741(GX)

Motherboard Manufacturer
Company Name Foxconn Electronics, Inc.
Product Information http://www.foxconnchannel.com/productsOverview_motherboard.cfm?pSocket=&pChipset=
BIOS Download http://www.foxconnchannel.com/productsDownloadOverview_motherboard.cfm

Also, sorry for the delay in reply; I kept putting off the post, hehe.

Edit: I was thinking of also overclocking my GPU, but if i overclock my graphics card does that mean I would need to overclock my CPU to match the workload of the GPU?

I tried overclocking my GPU by like 1% with rivaturner and i was getting major FPS lag in a 3rd person shooter (usually i get very little to none).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom