Quick power supply and graphics card question

Status
Not open for further replies.

noobXkyoob

Beta member
aight, i'm building my first media center and need some help. I have a case, mobo and processor. Guess all I need now is memory, HDDs (between 2-3TB), graphics card and power supply and other odds and ends which aren't a problem. 90% of what I am using this for is music and HD movies. the other 10% is your basic computing, so nothing special. 2 quiestions. 1) What is a good graphics card that will have HDMI out to put to a TV? Question 2, Will a 650w power supply be fine or should I shoot for 800-850?? I forget what mobo my buddy is givin me, I know it has at least a quad core processor if it makes a difference. Thanks guys.

1) What is a good graphics card that will have HDMI out to put to a TV?
Look at an HD4650, or a 9600GT; I think there are versions of those with HDMI.
This would probably be perfect: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121338

Question 2, Will a 650w power supply be fine or should I shoot for 800-850??
800W is ridiculous overkill, and 650W is also far too high. Any media centre PC shouldn't need more than 400W. Get a good-quality 400-500W PSU, from a brand like Corsair, Antec, OCZ, BFG, CoolerMaster, Seasonic.
A couple of examples:
Newegg.com - OCZ ModXStream Pro OCZ500MXSP 500W ATX12V V2.2 / EPS12V SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply compatible with core i7 - Power Supplies

Newegg.com - CORSAIR CMPSU-450VX 450W ATX12V V2.2 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply - Power Supplies
Either of those will work fine.

I got one of the OCZ ModXStream Pro OCZ500MXSP 500W for my other system and I have not had any issues with it and the modular was a nice perk too. Although I think the Corsair is a better brand the OCZ should be good for your use.

Dauntae

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom