first time builder - needs your help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hayate

Solid State Member
Im building my first computer and I've done my best to select the right parts, but I figured it would be worthwhile to consult people more knowledgable than myself. this is all of the parts I've chosen www.geocities.com/adult_swim_maniac/mycomputer.html . Please tell me if I am throwing away my money, or if I could get a better deal, and if you have a legitimate reason, why I should go with AMD instead. I am on a budget, and I have streched it too its breaking point, so please dont suggest that I buy a P4 3.6GHz Extreme or anything like that.

Well, I know that hard drive you chose is terrible! 36.7GB @ $115? The local store sells them retail for $1/GB, so $115 would get you at LEAST ~115GB card. They have sales every week though, and lots online, for 150GB @ 7200 RPM for $75ish...or if you up it to 10k RPM, more like $160ish.

And AMD...well, I just have had bad expierances with Intel, that is all :) No legitmate reason here.

The only two SATA drives that spun at 10k I could find were the WD 36 GB and the WD 70-some GB. Thanks for the help though, I'll be sure to keep my eyes on the ads to save a few bucks.

Oh, I didn't realize you were after the 10K--that makes more sense (I'm not the best in this field, obviously)...I thought it was odd with all of the other parts there being so high up :p Is 2500 RPM really worth that much more $ and reduced size? (I don't know how much of a difference it makes, I just know I tend to use a lot of disk-space!) Sounds like you already put a bit of time/research into this...mmm, I guess this is out of my field now...oh well, I tried :)

Good luck with it though!

well in this case 2.5k rpm is over a 30% increase in speed, and two 10k SATA drives set up in raid 0 should be enough of a boost to justify the cost ... plus I already have a WD cavier IDE I plan on using for sotrage, but I already have that, so I didn't put it on the list.

Thanks for your help anyways.

I'm still looking for feedback if anyone else want to offer some incite.

ok, if u want tthe raptor, im not gona hold u back, but i would REALLY recommend getting a normal WD sata thats like 120 GB for the samew price. The perf increase is VERY minimal. Ok now to the rest of your pc.

1st of all, what are you gona be using it for? If ur more into image editing, video and stuff, then that proc is fine. If your a gamer, get the 3500 939. its price is going down fast. I dont know much about intel mobos, but if u choose amd, u MUST get the abit av8 3rd eye. It has everything u dream of having. For the ram. No need to get 5400 unless ur gona overclock like a maniac. I would recommend corsair xms 3200XL with 2-2-2-5 latencies. The best latencies out on the market. Its about 270 $ for 1 gb. That ram is amazing. Now to graphics cards. There has been a lot of talk about the x800 and the 6800GT. Lots of people will say the 6800gt is much better. Now that the ati catalyst control center is out, ati is comming back a bit, but i would stay with the 6800 gt, Check some benchmarks if u wish. www.tomshardware.com has good stuff to read about. The rest looks fine to me.

good point. i guess i kinda zipped past that :D u might hafta wait a bit for a 6800 pcie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom