My new build.........

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not really stability as such it's just the way that type of RAID works. Because the data is striped across the array with no parity at all, in a two disk array half the data is on each drive so if 1 drive fails you loose all your data.

Well, the is risk is no higher than if you just have one HDD then.

i forget my probability courses from college but if you assume each harddrive has the same chance to fail, with two hardrives your giving it 'two chances' on failing, with one harddrive you giving it 'one chance'.

Either way, i wouldnt raid 0 two 1TB drives. A better option would be raid0 two smaller harddrives, like two 80gb, for the OS, then buying another 1TB harddrive that would store your files. This way you still get the performance of raid0, with your data stored separately.
Or like 'continu' suggested, get a SSD for your operating system and a 1TB for storage.

Agreed, I would buy two 80GB or similar and raid 0 them for the OS and one 1TB for the data, or two depending on your needs. If you're buying the ssd be sure it supports trim.

since you clearly have the money and you want to have faster HD performance, I would get 3 exact drives of smaller size and put them in RAID 5.

But no matter what you do, always back your data up onto other media.

Thanx a lot to everyone who replied on the raid 0 subject. I never thought about it, but that's a great idea; running say 2 HD's 80-200ish GB each in raid 0, then have a 3rd HD for storage.......... I think that's the route I'm gonna go.

I also just read that the performance of the 5870 is very close to 4890 in crossfire; can anybody confirm this?

Am I spending my money wisely on my build?

Your new idea works fine. I'd still get the HD 5870 vs the HD 4890 CFX because the performance is about the same and you have more future expansion.

But check out the Intel Core i7's and Core i5's for LGA 1156, these are new processors that compete with the PII's and are about the same price but a good bit faster.

But check out the Intel Core i7's and Core i5's for LGA 1156, these are new processors that compete with the PII's and are about the same price but a good bit faster.

The phenom II 965, 125W version costs about $10 less than the i5, about $130 less than the i7860, and $120 less than the i7920 D0......... these are in Canadian Dollars.

Since the 965 is a bit cheaper than the i5; which chip performs better? both seem pretty equal...........

The i5 performs better than the 965. And I would buy the 955 and overclock it to the clock speed of the 965. That way you can save a few bucks.

The i5 performs better than the 965. And I would buy the 955 and overclock it to the clock speed of the 965. That way you can save a few bucks.

Do the 965 and 955 have the same OC potential?

And would you say that the 955-965 performs somewhere between the i5 and Core 2 Quads?

There's no difference.

Both really are the same processor with the multiplier jumped up one (which you can do yourself since the 955 has an unlocked multiplier).

Here's the hierarchy of the performance: Core i5 > Phenom II = Core 2 Quad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom