Laptop shuts off suddenly

Status
Not open for further replies.

flying_suser

Baseband Member
I have a Lenovo 3000 N100 laptop. It has windows XP SP2 /Suse dual boot. It's battery went kaput long ago, so I keep on running it by mains power. The laptop is three years old and used heavily.

Today it suddenly stopped, while I was working in windows. I restarted and again it went off after 15 minutes or so after booting. The booting was perfect. I tried some more times in windows it boots perfectly and then died.

I ran Linux, it was all working fine and I worked for more than an hour before it died again.

The way it dies is similar to what happens if I suddenly remove the power source, it produces a similar kind of sound that way.

Is that a power issue?

Soliciting the opinions of the experts here

Thanks in advance

_FS

Are you running it from mains? Or from battery?

If you are running from battery, then your battery could be on it's way out. You might need to buy a new battery

Otherwise it could be the motherboard. Especially considering it's 3 years old. If that is the case, start thinking about getting a new laptop.

Mobo repairs or replacement usually cost nearly as much as a new laptop. I would just call lenovo and ask them they would be able to give you a better estimate than we can on potential part replacement. The internal parts of laptops other than ram and hdd are usually specific to the brand that makes the laptop.

It really sounds like a power problem or a fan problem-or a combination. My laptop kept dieing and it turned out that one of the fans had gone out and had been overheating itself. The other time i had the same problem on my desktop pc and a fan had gone out in my power supply. (easier to just replace the whole darn power supply really) I'd definitely open it up and see whats going and whats not in terms of fans. If its dieing without any other symptom (ie. programs crashing, taking forever in a lifetime to boot, ect) that'd be the first place i'd look before faulting any of the other hardware.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom