wireless adapter and the blue screen of death

Status
Not open for further replies.

Taz202

Baseband Member
I just installed a D-Link DWA-552 wireless desktop adapter. When I started the installation with the cd everything worked fine until it got part way through the process. That's when the blue screen appeared. I followed what the screen said about it being the first time it happened. I rebooted. I also tried using a different slot, no change. I still get the same message at the same point. I googled it. Some of the responses pointed at windows registry corruption issues. Some where basically ads for registry tools. I decided before I tried anything else I should check here for some unbiased opinions.

I am running an HP a1520n
os is Windows xp
amd athlon 64 x2 Dual Core Processor 3800+
1gb ram
D-Link DIR 655 router

The card is out of the tower. The thing is I still see the software as installed. When I try to remove it, either with add remove programs or even it's own utility located with it in the start menu, I'm taken to the installation wizard. There is a shorcut to the wireless connection manager on the desktop as well, but when I click on it the screen appears, then disappears just as quickly

It takes me through all the steps to install ie: destination folder etc. It will then prompt me to physically install the card in the tower then continue. So do I need to have the card in the tower to uninstall the software??

No time to check right now. I am going in on nights this weekend. I will test it first thing Monday I hope.
Oh bye the way thanks for your help. It's greatly appreciated

I just reinstalled the card in the computer. When I started the computer back up I didn't even get to the wizard before the bsod appeared. I tried putting the card in an empty slot. When I started up I didn't get the bsod, but the computer froze up, again before I got to the wizard. I tried a few more times, moving the card to other slots, once I swapped it with a sound card I installed at the same time I originally installed the wireless card, same result. I tried taking the sound card right out, thinking maybe their was a conflict of some sort. Again the system froze. I have sent the card back to the retailer where it was purchased. I hope to get another one. Maybe it's the card, I don't know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom