New Laptop w/WinXP Pro pre-installed...how to get the O/S?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vormund

Daemon Poster
Does anyone know about this? I know most laptops you buy now, er, computers for that matter...don't come with a Windows XP CD, as it is preinstalled. What happens should you want to reformat, or install something that requires the CD? Is it on the drive already to be copied off? I heard something like that... this is the last place I can think of before writing them! (I'm lazy, I know...arg!)

Thanks!

Well, it really depends on where you purchased the laptop (PC) or whatever. A lot of companies provide you with their own re-installation CD with the OS on it. Others provide some sort of OEM CD.

make a image of the drive? its my only idea, it should still be legal if you use your current cd key , the one which you paid for with a cd you get off a friend...

wayne

Yeah, that'd work, but it just bothers me that they don't even include a simple CD. It's an IBM laptop bought direct from the company (via their web site), as a friend gets a substantial discount for working there. I guess I'll write them, thanks for the help/suggestions!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom