$1000 Gaming Rig

Status
Not open for further replies.

Talisman00

Solid State Member
Thanks everyone who posts on this site. It looks like there is a really active and helpful group of people here. I am looking to build my first gaming PC from scratch for around $1,000. I have worked on my PCs in the past, but never built one from scratch so I'm a bit nervous, but also excited. I have a 24" Dell monitor I just bought a few months ago along with DVD burner, mouse, and keyboard already. I have a friend that can get me a great deal on Windows 7 so I'm assuming I should get Windows 7 Professional 64 bit version. So those items do not need to be factored into the $1000 budget.

The rest is where I need help. Looking for a machine to play mostly FPS and MMORPG games on as well as normal streaming of video, surfing, ect. I'd imagine a 750 Gig to 1 TB HD is standard these days. The rest I leave in your capable hands for suggestions on what hardware to procure. Thanks in advance for your help!

-cpu ?
-mobo ?
-ram ?
-graphics card ?
-hard drive (750 Gig to 1 TB) ?
-dvd drive/burner - Already own
-power supply ?
-case ?
-operating system - Windows 7 Professional 64 Bit

welcome. for whichever version of w7 that you end up getting, just make sure its 64-bit so that youll be able to utilize more than 32-bits' limitation of ~3.5gigs of ram.

for $1k, you could take a look at these parts. these total $950 + shipping.

Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, Digital Cameras and more!
Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, Digital Cameras and more!
Newegg.com - SAMSUNG Spinpoint F1 HD103UJ 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
optical drive - you already have

there isnt really a "standard" size in hdds these days, you just get whichever size you feel youll need most. some people dont have that much data to store; some people have a few tb's of data, so however much you think youll need, even though i have included a 1tb hdd in, you can obviously change that if you want. this setup would also be crossfire ready (dual gfx cards) should you want to do so later on.

Thanks Muffin! I figured HD sizes varied a great deal. My current system has 200 gig's which is about half full. However, I'm thinking I will get a camcorder for xmas so when i start adding video's I'm sure it will start filling up quickly!

oi!, two 5850's are back in stock, and one 5870 is too (i didnt even bother to look for them), i was wondering when they would finally...
you should just order the 5850 now before they run out again, the rest of your build will most likely still be available though.

^that looks like a great build, i would go with Druid's instead, but i think the ram is a bit pricey. i would go with your build but with this ram, has almost exact same timings and works at the same speed, but its $20 cheaper.
Newegg.com - G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL7D-4GBRM - Desktop Memory

if you do go with that change, i think you should look into putting the saved money into a slightly larger case if you plan to run two cards later. if not, i think thats a great list.

oi!, two 5850's are back in stock, and one 5870 is too (i didnt even bother to look for them), i was wondering when they would finally...
you should just order the 5850 now before they run out again, the rest of your build will most likely still be available though.

^that looks like a great build, i would go with Druid's instead, but i think the ram is a bit pricey. i would go with your build but with this ram, has almost exact same timings and works at the same speed, but its $20 cheaper.
Newegg.com - G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL7D-4GBRM - Desktop Memory

if you do go with that change, i think you should look into putting the saved money into a slightly larger case if you plan to run two cards later. if not, i think thats a great list.

5870 went out of stock as I was making my build. I was going to try to squeeze it in there.

Yeah, I noticed your ram was a better deal and edited my post.

He could upgrade the case if he wants, but two cards shouldn't be a problem. The 5850's aren't that big.

XFX is known to be a more reliable company. The warranty is better too. It is double life-time. There is nothing wrong with sapphire, but XFX is just the shiz. For $10, it is worth it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom