USB3/SATA6 Question re:motherboards

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xenofix

Baseband Member
Hi

I've been reading around and it seems that in a Gigabyte GA P55A series motherboard, enabling USB 3.0 and SATA 6GB/s will disable the second PCIe x16 slot meaning no CrossfireX/SLI.
Is it the same thing with the ASUS P7P55D-E boards?

Also, I read a bit about the Asus U3S6 expansion chips.
Would having this chip also disable PCIe x16 slot on a motherboard?

Thanks.

Thats right, it says on the gigabyte website that enabling the sata3/usb3 controller will set the first pci-e to 8x and disable the second. Puts me off purchasing this board, the asus add on card does not affect your pci-e slots though.

Thats right, it says on the gigabyte website that enabling the sata3/usb3 controller will set the first pci-e to 8x and disable the second. Puts me off purchasing this board, the asus add on card does not affect your pci-e slots though.

Thanks but Is it the same thing with the ASUS P7P55D-E boards?

right now there is noting that uses the full bandwidth of USB 2.0 or SATA 3GB/S. so getting one of those boards now is not even worth it. because intel is not going to natively support them in their chipsets until 2011.

right now there is noting that uses the full bandwidth of USB 2.0 or SATA 3GB/S. so getting one of those boards now is not even worth it. because intel is not going to natively support them in their chipsets until 2011.

Yeah I know. I've read that somewhere but I just want it in case I get some USB3.0 or SATA6 device.

Also I've also read something about the Foxconn 1156 socket problem on motherboards. Do the Gigabyte GA P55A motherboards use them? (GA P55 boards use them I know)

Yep I'm pretty sure they do, but revisions from now on were going to use the tyco AMPS socket instead, really this isn't of concern to you because these things only happen at 4ghz+. Just make sure your cpu is in there nice and snug or go with a x58 chipset. And im pretty sure asus were working with foxconn to get revised sockets from foxconn.

I agree, not worth waiting for.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom